Old 28-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , JohnOGroats
writes

I ordered some beautiful blue geraniums from a website displaying pics.
Now that I have the cuttings and they are in flower they are pink.

If they are the correct plant they should be clones of the pic! Anyone
similar experiences?

There's a few more or less above board reasons why catalogue photographs
don't match the plants. Firstly, colour constancy is a problem with
photographs - the colour the camera produces doesn't match reality - and
region between blue and pink is one of the problematical areas in my
experience. Secondly, if a photograph of the relevant cultivar isn't
available they may use a photograph of a related plant - I recently
bought a Hibiscus syriacus 'Marina', where the label was a single blue
(probably 'Oiseau Blue'), but the plant is a double purple. I'm quite
happy to discover that 'Marina' isn't someone selling 'Oiseau Bleu'
under a different name. I also came across a nursery using up old labels
of one cultivar on another cultivar (on the grounds that the customers
don't care about this fiddling distinctions).

--
JohnOGroats

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley