Old 27-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Registered User

Angry Mail order - misleading pics

I ordered some beautiful blue geraniums from a website displaying pics. Now that I have the cuttings and they are in flower they are pink.

If they are the correct plant they should be clones of the pic! Anyone similar experiences?
Old 27-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , JohnOGroats
writes

I ordered some beautiful blue geraniums from a website displaying pics.
Now that I have the cuttings and they are in flower they are pink.

Most likely there was some mistake and the wrong ones were supplied
somehow.

What's the big deal - other than it being annoying - but these things
happen. Complain to the suppliers, I'm sure they will refund or supply
replacements
--
Chris French
Old 28-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Registered User

Point is that it was a one off special order based on the colour. I have a local gardening competition in September and I was proposing to grow this one on for the competition.

If a woman ordered a blue dress and received a pink one ...?
Old 28-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , JohnOGroats
writes

I ordered some beautiful blue geraniums from a website displaying pics.
Now that I have the cuttings and they are in flower they are pink.

If they are the correct plant they should be clones of the pic! Anyone
similar experiences?

There's a few more or less above board reasons why catalogue photographs
don't match the plants. Firstly, colour constancy is a problem with
photographs - the colour the camera produces doesn't match reality - and
region between blue and pink is one of the problematical areas in my
experience. Secondly, if a photograph of the relevant cultivar isn't
available they may use a photograph of a related plant - I recently
bought a Hibiscus syriacus 'Marina', where the label was a single blue
(probably 'Oiseau Blue'), but the plant is a double purple. I'm quite
happy to discover that 'Marina' isn't someone selling 'Oiseau Bleu'
under a different name. I also came across a nursery using up old labels
of one cultivar on another cultivar (on the grounds that the customers
don't care about this fiddling distinctions).

--
JohnOGroats

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Just as a matter of curiosity - why did you start a new thread for your
response?

Must be an idiosyncrasy of Turncoat - all the posts have arrived in the
same thread here.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Unhappy

NB the cutting arrived as a 1" plug-plant - two months later after three - repottings, feeding tender care etc... it is in flower! Too late in the season really - my comments are more out of frustration really!

I also bought a fringed aztec - beautiful picture I now worry that it will not live up to the illustration!
Old 29-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Kay

In article , JohnOGroats
writes

NB the cutting arrived as a 1" plug-plant - two months later after
three - repottings, feeding tender care etc... it is in flower! Too
late in the season really - my comments are more out of frustration
really!

You should be able to get a refund. No amount of bad cultivation is
going to turn a blue geranium pink.

I'm considering having a go at Chiltern for some Lychnis coronaria
'alba' which I bought last year and which have just flowered - every
single one of them that dreadful magenta.

I also bought a fringed aztec - beautiful picture I now worry that it
will not live up to the illustration!

It's a lot of hassle, but it's a good idea to look things up in a
gardening book - they don't have the same incentive as a nursery or seed
company to make the thing look good.

I've just been looking through Dobies autumn catalogue and noticed how
they put several of something together for effect - there's one pic of
about half a dozen of the 'papillion' type hippeastrum, but for your 9
quid you get just a single bulb; and a magnificent mixture of at least
half a dozen different coloured hellebores - the standard pack just has
3. Allow for planting distances and there's no way you're going to be
able to match their picture, even if you bought two or 3 times the basic
order.
--
Kay

Old 07-08-2005, 01:40 AM
chris French

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Just as a matter of curiosity - why did you start a new thread for your
response?

Must be an idiosyncrasy of Turncoat - all the posts have arrived in the
same thread here.

It's probably down to how the different readers determine if something
is in a thread.

Turnpike uses the references header to work out the threading of
messages rather than the subject line. This means if someone starts a
new thread with the same subject title it will put these messages in the
a new thread as the message won't have nay references in the header.

Problem with relying on subject for threading is that if someone starts
a new thread with the same name as an existing one then the messages
from the new thread might get put in with the old one (Google groups
does - or maybe now did this ISTR)

Of course the OP was posting via Gardenbanter so who nows what might
happen :-)
--
Chris French