Old 28-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Kay wrote:
:: Can anyone hazard a guess at a fungus?
::
:: It was a bracket fungus - foolishly I didn't note the tree type. But it
:: was a very dead moss covered tree in a heavily vegetated shaded
:: intermittent river valley in limestone country.
::
:: About 6 inches long, with almost black short 'stem' merging into the
:: bracket which was white-cream, with an irregular but very definite
:: boundary between the black and white areas.
::
:: Underneath, the 'gills' seemed at first to be 3/4 inch long blunt
:: spines, but on closer inspection looked more like irregularly chopped
:: off tubes, like torn macaroni. Or perhaps multiply crimped hanging
:: curtains.
::
:: I considered Maze-gill Daedalea quercina, but the effect was much more
:: of hanging tubes rather than maze like effect pictured in Phillips, the
:: colour was much paler and creamier, and I doubt very much indeed whether
:: there were any oak in that habitat.
::
:: The overall look was of Creolophus cirrhatus, but sort of tubes rather
:: than spines, and that is supposedly rare, and I have found it a very
:: good rule of thumb to assume that if I've found it, then it isn't rare.
::
:: I've got pics, but they're 500KB each - not sure whether there's a size
:: limit on alt.binaries.gardens and I draw the line at registering on
:: gardenbanter just to post a pic!

There's no upper limit on the size of pictures to that group, but if you
want to, resize it with oscars thumbmaker, I've used it hundreds of times to
resize jpegs, it's freeware and a 700kb download from he

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/oscarthumb.html

It's really easy to use, just open it, browse to your folder where the
pictures are, choose a destination folder where you want the thumbnails to
land and click go.

Thanks. I've sent it as is to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. A bit OT,
but hopefully they won't notice!
--
Kay