Old 28-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Kay

Default Fungus identification

Can anyone hazard a guess at a fungus?

It was a bracket fungus - foolishly I didn't note the tree type. But it
was a very dead moss covered tree in a heavily vegetated shaded
intermittent river valley in limestone country.

About 6 inches long, with almost black short 'stem' merging into the
bracket which was white-cream, with an irregular but very definite
boundary between the black and white areas.

Underneath, the 'gills' seemed at first to be 3/4 inch long blunt
spines, but on closer inspection looked more like irregularly chopped
off tubes, like torn macaroni. Or perhaps multiply crimped hanging
curtains.

I considered Maze-gill Daedalea quercina, but the effect was much more
of hanging tubes rather than maze like effect pictured in Phillips, the
colour was much paler and creamier, and I doubt very much indeed whether
there were any oak in that habitat.

The overall look was of Creolophus cirrhatus, but sort of tubes rather
than spines, and that is supposedly rare, and I have found it a very
good rule of thumb to assume that if I've found it, then it isn't rare.

I've got pics, but they're 500KB each - not sure whether there's a size
limit on alt.binaries.gardens and I draw the line at registering on
gardenbanter just to post a pic!
--
Kay

Old 28-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Phil L

Kay wrote:
:: Can anyone hazard a guess at a fungus?
::
[...]

There's no upper limit on the size of pictures to that group, but if you
want to, resize it with oscars thumbmaker, I've used it hundreds of times to
resize jpegs, it's freeware and a 700kb download from he

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/oscarthumb.html

It's really easy to use, just open it, browse to your folder where the
pictures are, choose a destination folder where you want the thumbnails to
land and click go.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 28-07-2005, 09:02 PM
ned

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

Gloeophyllum sepiarium or, G. odoratum?
Favouring coniferous trees?

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Old 28-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Kay wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I've sent it as is to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. A bit OT,
but hopefully they won't notice!
--
Kay

Old 28-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Kay

In article , ned writes

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

Gloeophyllum sepiarium

No. Basically pretty well white, just slightly cream, lovely clean
colour not brown at all. And underneath are long tubes rather than
ridges

or, G. odoratum?

Haven't found a pic of that.

Favouring coniferous trees?

Dunno. It was on one dead tree. And most of what was down there was
beech and birch. Stupid of me not to make a note of what it was on. It
just looked so different from anything I'd seen before that I assumed it
would be easy to identify
--
Kay

Old 28-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Phil L

Kay wrote:
:: In article , ned writes
:::
::: "Kay" wrote in message
::: ...
:::: Can anyone hazard a guess at a fungus?
::::
[...]
There's 55 he

http://snipurl.com/gklt

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 28-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

I've got pics, but they're 500KB each - not sure whether there's a size
limit on alt.binaries.gardens and I draw the line at registering on
gardenbanter just to post a pic!

If you don't have Irfanview, I recommend downloading it. It's only a
small (but very powerful) program, and you can resize/resample the pics
with it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
::
::: or, G. odoratum?
::
:: Haven't found a pic of that.
::
There's 55 he

http://snipurl.com/gklt

Possibly. Better colour. Some of the pics of pores don't look right -
pores into a smooth surface. Second pic from end looks right - dangling
tubes. Problem is, seems to be another rarity in the UK - not in
Phillips, only about a dozen uk hits in Google, and I just don't believe
I would happen upon a rarity.

--
Kay

Old 29-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

I've got pics, but they're 500KB each - not sure whether there's a size
limit on alt.binaries.gardens and I draw the line at registering on
gardenbanter just to post a pic!

If you don't have Irfanview, I recommend downloading it. It's only a
small (but very powerful) program, and you can resize/resample the pics
with it.

Thanks. I've re-sized it with paintshop pro, and there are a couple of
pics now sitting on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
--
Kay

Old 29-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Thanks. I've re-sized it with paintshop pro, and there are a couple of
pics now sitting on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I'd have to set up a different newsreader if I wanted to see them - this
one isn't suitable for binary groups. (If I subscribed, I'd download the
whole of what's on the server...)

I'd be happy to receive them pinned to an emu.