Old 29-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Mr. Zee

I'd like to try CO2 injection , but it seems that I need an appx. $200
outlay. Also, my tapwater pH is a low (6.7) and so is the hardness. (Soft)
As I understand it to do this correctly I need to monitor the pH with a
meterin order to inject the proper amount of CO2. I like keeping soft water
fish (South American dawrf cichlids, and perhaps discus in the future) but
the initial cost and 'micromanagement' seem prohibitive. This is just my
feeling, from a beginner. Any opinions/comments welcome. Thanks for all
the advise.

"George Pontis" wrote in message
t...
In article . net,

says...
Hi Folks:

I just got back into the aquarium hobby after a 15 year vacation.
Wow,
the compact flourcent lights that are available are great! (I remember
how
hot my tank got with the older lights.) Anyway until yesterday I had a
Cora
life 48" strip w/2 65watt bulbs on my 55gal. Plants were doing fine but
not
really growing that much. The red ones (not sure which) were only
surviving. I just installed a Coralife quad arrangement: 4 65watt
bulbs.
What a difference in light! I'm looking forward to more plant growth I
think. I also have a DIY CO2 generator that bubbles a bit and I use
Sachem's Excel. I just LOVE looking at the plants and the cardinals
moving through them. So pretty!

Sounds good, if not a bit hard on the electric bill. I have some Excel and
am in
the process of using it up but the stuff gets expensive for large tanks
like that.
Have you considered getting a cylinder of CO2 ? It's effective and less
maintenance than DIY CO2 and dosing Excel.