Old 29-07-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Algae Killing my Lillies?

Hello folks,
I was hoping that someone here could help me with a problem. I have a
2000 gallon pond with a biofilter waterfall and a skimmer. I have many
water plants including 5 lillies. This is the second summer for this
pond.

Earlier this spring I had a string algae problem, but with patience and
a little help with Algae Fix, Microbe-lift bacteria, Barley, and lots
of plants I have clear water. I have also been fertalizing with pond
tablets. However, I have noticed that there is a algae film on
everything including the underside of the lillypads. I'm losing at
least one pad everyday. They turn yellow, then brown, and then to mush.
I have been clipping them and pulling them out of the pond when they
die. On all the dead ones I notice a greanish blackish film on the
underside of the lilly pads.

NOW HERE IS THE THING THAT'S GOT ME STUMPED. I just noticed today that
the bigger pads that aren't dying DON'T have the green scum on the
underside. For some reason the heathy bigger pads have somehow made it
through whatever is killing the others.

My lillys are still growing plenty of new pads, but I just don't have
too many big lilly pads. It seems that most of them die before they get
too big.

Any ideas what could be killing my lillies? I'm thinking of trying
cornmeal.

Thanks,
Rich Wiski