Old 29-07-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Algae Killing my Lillies?

Hello folks,
I was hoping that someone here could help me with a problem. I have a
2000 gallon pond with a biofilter waterfall and a skimmer. I have many
water plants including 5 lillies. This is the second summer for this
pond.

Earlier this spring I had a string algae problem, but with patience and
a little help with Algae Fix, Microbe-lift bacteria, Barley, and lots
of plants I have clear water. I have also been fertalizing with pond
tablets. However, I have noticed that there is a algae film on
everything including the underside of the lillypads. I'm losing at
least one pad everyday. They turn yellow, then brown, and then to mush.
I have been clipping them and pulling them out of the pond when they
die. On all the dead ones I notice a greanish blackish film on the
underside of the lilly pads.

NOW HERE IS THE THING THAT'S GOT ME STUMPED. I just noticed today that
the bigger pads that aren't dying DON'T have the green scum on the
underside. For some reason the heathy bigger pads have somehow made it
through whatever is killing the others.

My lillys are still growing plenty of new pads, but I just don't have
too many big lilly pads. It seems that most of them die before they get
too big.

Any ideas what could be killing my lillies? I'm thinking of trying
cornmeal.

Thanks,
Rich Wiski

Old 29-07-2005, 05:00 AM
kathy

Could the plants have filled their planting
container?
Or need fertilized?
I'm in NO way a plant person so wait for
more answers ;-)

Old 29-07-2005, 07:31 AM

Good question. I forgot to mention that I have repoted all my lillies.

Rich

Old 29-07-2005, 07:31 AM

Old 29-07-2005, 03:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'm losing at
least one pad everyday. They turn yellow, then brown, and then to mush.
I have been clipping them and pulling them out of the pond when they
die. On all the dead ones I notice a greanish blackish film on the
underside of the lilly pads.

Perfectly normal. Don't let the pads get to the yellow to mush state. I
pinch off my pads as soon as they start to yellow. Yellowing attracts
aphids. I have 12 lilies, if I were to only pinch off pads an blooms
once/week I'd have a huge stack of discarded pads. As is, I prune at least
every other day and remove 6-12 pads each time. This invigorates the lily
to produce more. Not to mention make the whole pond look healthier. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 30-07-2005, 06:01 AM

Well that's a big relief. Thank you for replying. I wonder why some
pads have algae on the underside and some don't though?

Rich W

Old 30-07-2005, 07:00 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Well that's a big relief. Thank you for replying. I wonder why some
pads have algae on the underside and some don't though?
Rich W

They've been there long enough for the algae to grow on them. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 31-07-2005, 06:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 30 Jul 2005 17:49:05 -0700, "moe" wrote:

I've had the same problem so I am glad I read this thread.

I don't know if the OP used Algaefix, would be a good question to ask. Even
though most of those products claim they won't hurt plants and fish, I find
it highly unlikely that something that can kill algae isn't bothersome in
some way to higher plant forms. Kind of like 2nd hand smoke, kills slow
with exposer. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~