First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2005
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Hi all;

We are going to have the outside of the house painted and prior to that
it is pressure washed. I was told to move all my plants from the patio
into the house. "No!!" screams the wife, "bugs!! to the garge with
them". It is dark in the garage while on the patio they had the S.W.
sun. Will the dark make any problems for a day or so??? The plants and
we live in S.E. Florida. The garage is hot, humid and dark. Some of the
plants are mature and some are recent keiki transplants.A mixturer of
Dends. and Phals. One of the Phals is in bloom. My babies are in the
dark! HELP!

Bob
I'm also a novice orchid grower and just came from Bangkok and brought home 1 huge well-sealed box containing 20 violet dendrobiums (in full bloom) which I bought in Otoko (sp?) near Chatuchak Weekend Market. Though I live just a little over thousand miles away from Thailand (the Philippines where I reside) it took 2 days for the orchids to arrive in our airport onto our house from the time it was sealed immediately few minutes after I bought it in Otoko.
Though our climate matches the same tropical heat and humidity as that of Thailand, I must say upon opening, the dendrobs were really very stressed with the flowers limp and all (as stressed as I was!) so I immediately had to repot them all quickly and put in a hi-nitrogen fertilizer and rooting hormone 2 days after. And voila, after a week they are now fully revived and looking smashing with the blooms returning to firmness!
Being new to this, I would like to ask advanced or pro orchid breeders out there if it's possible to repot 4 or at least 2 "mother" dendrobium plants in one pot? I've seen this in Thailand and not sure whether they were what you call keikis or 4 separate plants potted together. any comments will greatly be appreciated. Thanks...