Old 21-07-2005, 12:04 AM
bob

Default WILL THE DARKNESS FOR 2 DAYS HURT MY ORCHIDS???

Hi all;

We are going to have the outside of the house painted and prior to that
it is pressure washed. I was told to move all my plants from the patio
into the house. "No!!" screams the wife, "bugs!! to the garge with
them". It is dark in the garage while on the patio they had the S.W.
sun. Will the dark make any problems for a day or so??? The plants and
we live in S.E. Florida. The garage is hot, humid and dark. Some of the
plants are mature and some are recent keiki transplants.A mixturer of
Dends. and Phals. One of the Phals is in bloom. My babies are in the
dark! HELP!

Bob

Old 21-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:35:25 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

2 days will not be a big issue. Don't sweat it!

2 days are not an issue as Ray says. The alternative -- if your
yard has some shade trees and is secure is to hang them in the
shade of the trees. In Chicago we grew all summer in the shade
of a large honey locust. In the winter under florescent lamps.

SuE
Old 21-07-2005, 02:08 PM
bob

THanks, I can breathe easier now.
Bob

Old 21-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Bob Walsh

Bob,

The responses all seem to relate to the darkness. How about the heat. Take
the temperature of your garage at the high point of the day or when the sun
shines on it the most. Let us know what it gets to and someone can tell you
if it's too hot for them. You may have to put in some fans to move the heat
out.

Bob

oups.com...

Old 21-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Kenni Judd

To the extent you won't sunburn everything, leave the garage door open as
much as possible during the day. Kenni

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
Bob,

The responses all seem to relate to the darkness. How about the heat. Take
the temperature of your garage at the high point of the day or when the
sun shines on it the most. Let us know what it gets to and someone can
tell you if it's too hot for them. You may have to put in some fans to
move the heat out.

Bob

oups.com...

Old 21-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Diana Kulaga

I agree that the lack of light for two days is no biggie. But I also wonder
about lack of air circulation. Garages down here are notoriously hot, damp
and still in summer, a perfect Petri dish for bacteria. As suggested, leave
the door open when you can, and turn on those fans.

Diana

Old 24-07-2005, 07:36 PM

How long CAN they go without light? I have been thinking about
ordering some more, & watching some on eBay, but the vendors are all a
long way from where I live, & Canada Post packages take
forabsolutelyEVER to arrive. I am leery of ordering something that's
going to take a week to get here (even expedited). So how many days
shipping time can they stand? Is there sort of an average or ideal
time that growers/shippers feel is appropriate?

Alison

Old 25-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Ray

I won't claim to know the limit, but in my old international business travel
days, I often shipped plants back to myself. 10 to 14 days in transit did
little to weaken them, although the phals did get a little flaccid.

oups.com...

Old 25-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:00:15 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

I won't claim to know the limit, but in my old international business travel
days, I often shipped plants back to myself. 10 to 14 days in transit did
little to weaken them, although the phals did get a little flaccid.

When we moved from Chicago to Colorado - we wrapped each pot like
yesterday's garbage. It took a couple of days. Then the moving
people came that is another day. We left the next 2 days travel
and the movers came the third day. What with having to build a
table for them and string lights from the ceiling studs in the
basement.. It was probably another 2-3 days before some of those
plants got unpacked. So just to move we probably had things in
boxes from 8-10 days. As Ray says some are a little dry when
they get unpacked. But these plants in the 'discovery days' used
to be on ship for months with improper care - not to mention what
they were subject to in England when they did arrive.

The flowers are easily damaged by wind, dry, wet, - you name it.
The plants themselves are very sturdy.
SuE

Old 25-07-2005, 02:43 AM
wendy7

Hi Bob, The darkness would not bother your plants but the heat
would kill them if your garage will be closed up?

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 26-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Diana Kulaga

This thread brings to mind the bare root stock that growers from SA bring to
Redland. I'm always careful to avoid any plant that is dessicated, but I've
bought some bare root plants that were dry as a bone but still had good
plump eyes, etc. Haven't lost one of those. These guys really are quite
remarkable.

Diana

Old 29-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Hi all;

We are going to have the outside of the house painted and prior to that
it is pressure washed. I was told to move all my plants from the patio
into the house. "No!!" screams the wife, "bugs!! to the garge with
them". It is dark in the garage while on the patio they had the S.W.
sun. Will the dark make any problems for a day or so??? The plants and
we live in S.E. Florida. The garage is hot, humid and dark. Some of the
plants are mature and some are recent keiki transplants.A mixturer of
Dends. and Phals. One of the Phals is in bloom. My babies are in the
dark! HELP!

Bob
I'm also a novice orchid grower and just came from Bangkok and brought home 1 huge well-sealed box containing 20 violet dendrobiums (in full bloom) which I bought in Otoko (sp?) near Chatuchak Weekend Market. Though I live just a little over thousand miles away from Thailand (the Philippines where I reside) it took 2 days for the orchids to arrive in our airport onto our house from the time it was sealed immediately few minutes after I bought it in Otoko.
Though our climate matches the same tropical heat and humidity as that of Thailand, I must say upon opening, the dendrobs were really very stressed with the flowers limp and all (as stressed as I was!) so I immediately had to repot them all quickly and put in a hi-nitrogen fertilizer and rooting hormone 2 days after. And voila, after a week they are now fully revived and looking smashing with the blooms returning to firmness!
Being new to this, I would like to ask advanced or pro orchid breeders out there if it's possible to repot 4 or at least 2 "mother" dendrobium plants in one pot? I've seen this in Thailand and not sure whether they were what you call keikis or 4 separate plants potted together. any comments will greatly be appreciated. Thanks...

Darkness... Mike Gardening 3 24-06-2005 02:19 AM
Total Darkness Cure for Algae blank Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 01-10-2004 08:47 PM
[IBC] Darkness - Is 4 Hours Enough? Jim S Bonsai 1 02-07-2003 10:56 PM
Darkness Quotient. World News Now. ABCnews. Don Saklad sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:31 PM
Darkness Quotient. World News Now. ABCnews. Don Saklad sci.agriculture 0 31-03-2003 10:32 AM