Old 29-07-2005, 02:40 PM

Mine are outgrowing the 8 foot 1x 2s that I put 4 inches into the
soil. Some will grow to 9 feet. I better stop fertilizing!

The problem with letting them grow without tieing them is that some
significant branches will break when they bend. I broke a few
myself, while putting in the 1 x 2s.

The 1 X 2s were $1.15 each at Home Depot. Does anyone know how much
rebar costs? Someone suggested making a teepee for each plant out of
8 foot rebar. That's a pretty good idea, if the rebar is not too
expensive, won't rust and you have a way of tieing the three poles
together, without your being a 7 footer.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:13:55 GMT, "brickled"
wrote:

mine are outgrowing their 4' cages i built from field fencing, check 'em
out!

http://home.earthlink.net/~brickled/...arden05007.jpg

wrote in message
roups.com...
My tomato plants have outgrown their cages. They are almost two feet
above the tops now. What can I do? I don't want to cut them off.

Thanks,

Dan