Old 21-07-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Tomatoes outgrowing cages!

My tomato plants have outgrown their cages. They are almost two feet
above the tops now. What can I do? I don't want to cut them off.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 21-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Keith Warren

Add stakes and start tying'em up.

Mine are over the top of homebuilt 6ft tall cages already and loaded with
fruit.
I see lots of canning in my not-so-distant future.

Keith

NE Georgia Mountains

oups.com...

Old 21-07-2005, 01:42 PM
FriscoSoxFan

What I did last year was to buy some rebar at Lowes and cut it down to
about 7 feet. drive the rebar home inside the cages. Don't be too
afraid of getting close to the plant, the roots you cut won't have an
impact on the plants. Tie the cages to the rebar.

I didn't use cages this year. Bad idea for me. The sun is a killer in
Dallas this year and the lack of shade from trimming them back to stay
on the stake is killing them.

Next year, I'll make my own cages. Or, just pull everything out and
make a big watermelon patch.

Old 21-07-2005, 02:30 PM
GA Pinhead

Thye will bend over when they get heavy enough, I just let them do that.
Mine too are about 8 ft tall.

John!

Old 21-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Sue

On 21 Jul 2005 05:42:47 -0700, "FriscoSoxFan"
wrote:

What I did last year was to buy some rebar at Lowes and cut it down to
about 7 feet. drive the rebar home inside the cages. Don't be too
afraid of getting close to the plant, the roots you cut won't have an
impact on the plants. Tie the cages to the rebar.

I didn't use cages this year. Bad idea for me. The sun is a killer in
Dallas this year and the lack of shade from trimming them back to stay
on the stake is killing them.

My tomatoes are getting badly sunburned here in the Central Valley,
CA. As well as my bell peppers. No relief in sight from the triple
digits.

Sue

Old 22-07-2005, 02:49 AM
TQ

wrote in message
oups.com...
My tomato plants have outgrown their cages. They are almost two feet
above the tops now. What can I do? I don't want to cut them off.

1) Don't cut them off. If they fall over the side, it's not the end other
world. You can just leave them be and still get plenty-o-tomatoes.
2) Better yet, erect a teepee made from 8-10' poles over the cage(s) and
tie the vines to it.
http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index....=post&id=13854

Old 26-07-2005, 07:13 PM
brickled

mine are outgrowing their 4' cages i built from field fencing, check 'em
out!

http://home.earthlink.net/~brickled/...arden05007.jpg

oups.com...

Old 29-07-2005, 02:40 PM

Mine are outgrowing the 8 foot 1x 2s that I put 4 inches into the
soil. Some will grow to 9 feet. I better stop fertilizing!

The problem with letting them grow without tieing them is that some
significant branches will break when they bend. I broke a few
myself, while putting in the 1 x 2s.

The 1 X 2s were $1.15 each at Home Depot. Does anyone know how much
rebar costs? Someone suggested making a teepee for each plant out of
8 foot rebar. That's a pretty good idea, if the rebar is not too
expensive, won't rust and you have a way of tieing the three poles
together, without your being a 7 footer.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:13:55 GMT, "brickled"
wrote:

mine are outgrowing their 4' cages i built from field fencing, check 'em
out!

http://home.earthlink.net/~brickled/...arden05007.jpg

wrote in message
roups.com...
My tomato plants have outgrown their cages. They are almost two feet
above the tops now. What can I do? I don't want to cut them off.

Thanks,

Dan

Tomato plants outgrowing cages Landrey Edible Gardening 21 25-05-2006 03:31 AM
Tomato cages Karen Texas 12 18-03-2003 02:56 AM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM
Tomato Cages Online? Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 23 07-02-2003 06:52 PM