Old 31-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Dave Gillingham

I've been using various incarnations of Paint Shop Pro for quite a few years, & have been very happy with it. Sadly,
the original company (Jasc) has been bought out by Corel, so it may well be incorporated into one of their graphics
packages. However, the current version 9 is still available in shops over here, and the manual (yes - paper manual)
still carries the Jasc logo.

Among many other facilities, it offers separate crop & resize functions. It will also save in a huge range of graphics
formats, as well as offering a batch conversion option. I find the conversion facility great for digital pics. I
download jpgs from my cameras, & convert the batch to an uncompressed format (eg tif or Paint Shop's own psp format) for
image manipulation. That avoids the quality loss from multiple saves as jpg. Then, for posting, I convert the final
version back to jpg, usually opting for 50% compression.

The reviews over here tend to regard Paint Shop as a poor man's (oops, person's) Photoshop.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:11:44 -0600, Susan Erickson wrote:

We have started a discussion in ABPO and Diana asked that it be
moved. - So I will try to summarize the packages talked about.
Adobe Photoshop Elements - the little brother of Adobe Photoshop.
Works great - not cheap.

Picture Easy came with a Kodak camera and was EASY - worked well.

www.irfanview.com IrfanView wonderful and Free. Joan F
recommends it as well as Photoimpact. Photoimpact - no price
mentioned - does more complicated editing.

Wendy also voted for IrfanView. But Loves PhotoCleaner @ $12.95
to remove noise, add frames and signatures.

Danny got PhotoImpression software with his camera (which one?)
Likes it.

Picasa is a nice freeware photo editor that was acquired by
Google: http://picasa.google.com/ From John DeGood.
SuE

Dave Gillingham