Old 31-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Photo Software solutions

We have started a discussion in ABPO and Diana asked that it be
moved. - So I will try to summarize the packages talked about.
Adobe Photoshop Elements - the little brother of Adobe Photoshop.
Works great - not cheap.

Picture Easy came with a Kodak camera and was EASY - worked well.

www.irfanview.com IrfanView wonderful and Free. Joan F
recommends it as well as Photoimpact. Photoimpact - no price
mentioned - does more complicated editing.

Wendy also voted for IrfanView. But Loves PhotoCleaner @ $12.95
to remove noise, add frames and signatures.

Danny got PhotoImpression software with his camera (which one?)
Likes it.

Picasa is a nice freeware photo editor that was acquired by
Google: http://picasa.google.com/ From John DeGood.
SuE
Old 31-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Eric Hunt

Sue,

I use ACDSee 7.0 and Thumbs Plus to organize my photos. Each has nice
resizing and basic editing options. Both are shareware, available under $75
each.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 31-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Dave Gillingham

I've been using various incarnations of Paint Shop Pro for quite a few years, & have been very happy with it. Sadly,
the original company (Jasc) has been bought out by Corel, so it may well be incorporated into one of their graphics
packages. However, the current version 9 is still available in shops over here, and the manual (yes - paper manual)
still carries the Jasc logo.

Among many other facilities, it offers separate crop & resize functions. It will also save in a huge range of graphics
formats, as well as offering a batch conversion option. I find the conversion facility great for digital pics. I
download jpgs from my cameras, & convert the batch to an uncompressed format (eg tif or Paint Shop's own psp format) for
image manipulation. That avoids the quality loss from multiple saves as jpg. Then, for posting, I convert the final
version back to jpg, usually opting for 50% compression.

The reviews over here tend to regard Paint Shop as a poor man's (oops, person's) Photoshop.

Old 31-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Susan Erickson

copied from ABPO

Try the free Image Resizer from Microsoft. All you do is right
click
on a photo and then choose whether you want a small, medium, or
larger
reduction.

If you use Windows XP, look on the right hand side for Image
Resizer
here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Anne
Just in case Anne does not lurk here too

Just thought of another addition --

What do you use to organize your web page?

We use a freeware package called Gallery.
http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.p...ews&file=index

It creates albums at any level you want and indexes each entry
alphabetically within the album. Items can be stored and not
displayed. Names can be edited or changed at anytime. You can
work with the names index of albums or with the photo index
(album covers style). We are now down level from what is being
offered,
SuE
Old 31-07-2005, 04:22 PM
nojunk@this_address.com (Mike Pearson

Susan Erickson wrote:

We have started a discussion in ABPO and Diana asked that it be
moved. - So I will try to summarize the packages talked about.
Adobe Photoshop Elements - the little brother of Adobe Photoshop.
Works great - not cheap.

Picture Easy came with a Kodak camera and was EASY - worked well.

www.irfanview.com IrfanView wonderful and Free. Joan F
recommends it as well as Photoimpact. Photoimpact - no price
mentioned - does more complicated editing.

Wendy also voted for IrfanView. But Loves PhotoCleaner @ $12.95
to remove noise, add frames and signatures.

Danny got PhotoImpression software with his camera (which one?)
Likes it.

Picasa is a nice freeware photo editor that was acquired by
Google: http://picasa.google.com/ From John DeGood.
SuE

I use a combination of Photoshop Elements and iPhoto, which is a part of
the iLife package from Apple. Between the two I can do pretty much what
I need to. Both are very easy to use. Elements cost something like
$80, iPhoto came bundled with the new Mac. With iPhoto, the application
saves the original image befoe you start any work, so, even through
multiple edit sessions, you can always revert to the original image.

--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627

Old 31-07-2005, 04:47 PM
K Barrett

Susan Erickson wrote:
[...]

I use Photoimpact for my images. I admit that I do not use the program
to its best advantage. I merely use it to resize files, add labels and
crop images. To makes thumbnails I use irfanview. I'm sure Photoimpact
will make thumbnails, but I like irfanview for that. I coud probably
quit using Photoimpact and just use Irfanview, for that matter, becasue
I do not retouch the color of my photos. Nor do I many fancy graphic
documents that Photimpact will allow you to do. My version of
Photoimpact dates from 1998.

Also, my digital camera has 3 different settings for image size, which I
always use on the smallest file size since my images are always intended
for the web. I can upload straight from the camera when posting to
apbo, or I can dink around with them for my webpages.

To make a web page I use Pagemill, also dating from 1998 (if that
recent) also used to the most rudimentary degree of expertise. The key
for me was getting a book, which I have to refer to whenever I want to
creat a new webpage, since I forget what I did and how I did it before -
so rarely do I create something new. I usually just work from
templates. Each new subject gets its own folder, photos and pages get
put into that folder, and the whole thing is uploaded to the web using
freeware FTP Pro, which will upload the whole folder (file by file) at
once, instead of file managers like geocities, where you have to
manually upload file by file. Its not what you use but what you know how
to use that is important (IMHO).

Does anyone have a suggestion(s) for a webpage maker (freeware) for a
mac? The templates that come with .mac are too simplistic and are
webbased (housed on the web - IIRC). I want somehing I can download to
my mac, work on webpages offline, then ftp to my webpages.

K Barrett
Old 31-07-2005, 04:57 PM
K Barrett

Susan Erickson wrote:
copied from ABPO

Try the free Image Resizer from Microsoft. All you do is right
click
on a photo and then choose whether you want a small, medium, or
larger
reduction.

If you use Windows XP, look on the right hand side for Image
Resizer
here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Well, that's interesting! I had no idea microsoft did those tweaks. Now
if only Apple would allow Google to make a google toolbar for macs I'd
be in hog heaven. SuE, you turned me on to the google buttons and
toolabr a while ago, and there's been no end to how usefull they are.
They are my right hand when doing a search. Having to use the google
search feature housed in the Safari browser is like being hogtied.
There have been countless instances where I'll perform a search using
the browser based search form vs the google toolbar search, and the
toolbar search brings up better results than the browser based will.
(does that sentence make sense?) I know. They are both supposed to
search the web. However, maybe because we search for such esoteric
items (rather than porn or cars) there *is* a difference.

K Barrett