Old 31-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Roy

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:03:29 GMT, "Cheryl and Rob"
wrote:

===Just added 2 of these suckers in my pond and I think they are trying to
===escape.....is this normal? They are jumping at the edges as if they are
===trying to bust out of the place. Should I invest in a net??
===

I found that some koi even if water parameters are right, and they do
not have any parasites etc will take a few days to acclimate to their
new home and often times during this timeframe some may try and jump
out and do all sorts of erratic things....Others seem to just relax
from the git go and make no effort. If your water is good, and your
fish are free of parasites etc I would not worry and they will settle
down.

I often put small koi and shubunkins in a half barrel for a period of
time sort of as a QT setup on the back patio where we can observe them
closely and it was this that led me to have to put up a barrier to
keep em in until they got adjusted to their new home. I made a barrier
out of clear thin plexiglass to extend the height of the half
barrels.....and kept all the jumpers in the half barrels instead of on
the ground.......Its amazing how high a fish can actually jump. I do
not know how large your pond is but you may be able to lower the water
level a bit, or extend the sides up temporarily and see what happens.
Nothing worse than finding a dried out fish on the ground. A net would
work if mesh is approropriately sized......I have had 2 koi already
jump up and through mesh // netting and get hung up, luckily i found
them in time.

"The original frugal ponder"