Old 31-07-2005, 06:03 AM
Cheryl and Rob

Default 5" Koi

Just added 2 of these suckers in my pond and I think they are trying to
escape.....is this normal? They are jumping at the edges as if they are
trying to bust out of the place. Should I invest in a net??

Old 31-07-2005, 06:56 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Cheryl and Rob" wrote in message
Just added 2 of these suckers in my pond and I think they are trying to
escape.....is this normal? They are jumping at the edges as if they are
trying to bust out of the place. Should I invest in a net??

==============================
That doesn't sound normal. Did you make sure the PH was about equal when
you released them - with what it is in your quarantine tank or pool? Were
they acting normal in quarantine? Sometimes there's a bit of a difference
and that can make them very uncomfortable. Do they have at least some
floating plants to hide under? Did something spook them? A dog or perhaps
a heron?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 31-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Roy

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:03:29 GMT, "Cheryl and Rob"
wrote:

===Just added 2 of these suckers in my pond and I think they are trying to
===escape.....is this normal? They are jumping at the edges as if they are
===trying to bust out of the place. Should I invest in a net??
===

I found that some koi even if water parameters are right, and they do
not have any parasites etc will take a few days to acclimate to their
new home and often times during this timeframe some may try and jump
out and do all sorts of erratic things....Others seem to just relax
from the git go and make no effort. If your water is good, and your
fish are free of parasites etc I would not worry and they will settle
down.

I often put small koi and shubunkins in a half barrel for a period of
time sort of as a QT setup on the back patio where we can observe them
closely and it was this that led me to have to put up a barrier to
keep em in until they got adjusted to their new home. I made a barrier
out of clear thin plexiglass to extend the height of the half
barrels.....and kept all the jumpers in the half barrels instead of on
the ground.......Its amazing how high a fish can actually jump. I do
not know how large your pond is but you may be able to lower the water
level a bit, or extend the sides up temporarily and see what happens.
Nothing worse than finding a dried out fish on the ground. A net would
work if mesh is approropriately sized......I have had 2 koi already
jump up and through mesh // netting and get hung up, luckily i found
them in time.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 31-07-2005, 03:29 PM
RichToyBox

Koi are sometimes upset when they go into a new pond and will try to leave.
Netting thee pond for a few days is a good idea. The water they came from
could be significantly different from your water, different pH, etc. Be
sure to test the water and make certain that it is not irritating the koi.
pH changes from morning to evening will upset the fish. Ammonia will burn
the skin. If ammonia is zero and pH is stable, they should settle down in a
day or two.
--
RichToyBox

Old 31-07-2005, 08:46 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:03:29 GMT, "Cheryl and Rob" wrote:

Just added 2 of these suckers in my pond and I think they are trying to
escape.....is this normal? They are jumping at the edges as if they are
trying to bust out of the place. Should I invest in a net??

What the others said, only I'll be more blunt, invest in test kits. At
least you'll know it's not the water. Very likely it is not because there
is anything wrong with your water, but different. Still we need to rule
that out first.

I put 7 koi of similar size in a 70 gallon stock tank with the pond water
they came out of, and no one is jumping (I still covered the tank just in
case). I think water over space is the most upsetting to new fish.

That's why when I purchase a new fish I ask what pH & temperature they're
at and fix my Q-tank accordingly. Makes for 1 less stress factor. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a