Old 31-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim Gremel wrote:
In a message dated 7/30/2005 8:41:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Exception: Timed release fertilizers. A real no-no in pots
if you like to control what your plants get and when they
get it.

*****************
For many years I have heard that timed release fertilizer is a bad
choice for bonsai, but my experience suggests otherwise. I use time
release fertilizer all the time, with excellent results (images of some
of my trees can be seen at
www.jimgremel.com/bonsaigallery.html).

To each his (or her) own. _I_ like to know how much
fertilizer my trees get and when they get it over the course
of a growing season. You have no idea whether your
timed-release fert pops none, one, or 40 capsules when you
water -- and for most, it's not _water_ that triggers
release. It is temperature. If the spoon-ful you dump into
your plants has 40% 85+ degree capsules and 15% 65 degree,
then you never have an 85 degree day for several weeks, you
are not getting any fert to your tree.

I don't plan to use it on any of my finished trees. My
gosh-the-these-might-amount-to-something-some-day-but-don't-bet-on-it
trees are lucky to get fertilized at all and if I happen to
have some time release fert around I might remember to give
them some -- or not.

I have to think the difference between the two fertilizers
was in the material (or the trigger mechanism) of the
capsules, and not the fert. Trees just don't care how they
get NPK, just so they get it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++