Old 01-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Dana Schultz

I would say wait on the moving till you research what butterfly's frequent
your area.
I have an extensive butterfly garden and I have not seen them on cannas, or
my daylillies, nor the dianthus.
Where I have seen them is gathering heat by hanging in the cedar trees or
larger rocks.
Feeding on black eyed Susan, purple cone flower, gloriosa daisy, butterfly
weed, swamp milkweed or regular milkweed (if you dare).

I would recommend 'The Butterfly Book' by Donald Stokes.
It has an excellent reference to the types of flowers certain butterfly
prefer and the caterpillar food sources. Find out which ones frequent your
area and gear the garden to them.

I have had a successful crop of Monarchs this year and currently have many
swallowtail caterpillars. I can't wait!

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I've decided to redo the butterfly garden, but I don't want to kill any
flowers that are growing in it right now. I have Cannas, Daylillies,
Amaryllis, Dianthus, Carnations, and a Butterfly Bush in it right now. The
Canna, Dianthus, Carnation, and butterfly bush are the only things

blooming
right now. Can I safely dig them up and transplant them somewhere else? Or
should I wait until Fall when they are no longer blooming?

Thanks!
Angie