Old 01-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-08-01, Mr. Zee wrote:
Also, I had bought a nice 12" long Ludwiga but after a few days it
started to lose all it leaves. I took it out, cut it back to a small 4"
strand or two and replanted it. I hadn't gotten the extra lighting when I
bought it so perhaps that's why it died? I have soft water, pH 6.7, 81F.

Did it lose *all* of its leaves or just the ones at the bottom? My
Luds pretty agressively shed their lower leaves as they grow higher. If
that's what you saw, it was probably just a normal growth pattern.

If it was all the leaves, that could be normal as well. Often times a
moving a plant is "stressful" to it - you'll see stunted growth/die-off
as it adjusts to its new environment.

By the way, a few friends came over yesterday. Everyone said 'ohh ahh are
those REAL plants?' It's a nice feeling yes? So nice to have beautiful
green planst in the aquarium.

To be honest, I'd be pretty nervous about 4.7 watts per gallon in a
55gal tank. That's an enormous amount of light. I'm not familiar with
the nutrients provided by the Seachem you're using, but keep a very
close eye on your nitrate, potassium, and phosphate levels until you
reach a good equilibrium. One day off kilter and I suspect you could
end up with a pretty massive algae attack.

Search through the archives for posts by Tom Barr and his comments
regarding fertilizing - they are spot on and will give you info you will
probably need sooner or later with guns like that.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."