Old 01-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Dave Sheehy

Susan Erickson ) wrote:
: On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:11:52 +0000 (UTC),
: (Dave Sheehy) wrote:
: What happens to the plant if the leaves 'turn the slightest bit light'?
: Does the plant fail to thrive or just not bloom? I ask because the newer
: leaves on my Eliz. Ann are a lighter shade of green than the older leaves.
: I've always wondered if that was good, bad, or neutral. Since my plant has
: apparently been growing well I haven't worried about it too much.
:
: Dave

: It is a sign the plant is getting too much light for the amount
: of nutrition it is receiving. Generally Catts, Onc, Brassias - I
: don't mind. They bloom and often bloom well. I consider it
: 'growing them hard' since we fertilize fairly heavily.

Interestingly enough I seem to have the opposite problem. I have a lot of
light available but if I ferilize aggressively I end up with accordian
leaves. I think the reason is that I can't keep them wet enough, long enough,
to support the resultant growth. So, I have to balance fertilizer additions
with water uptake.

: But Bulbo's that have done this have not bloomed for me. Or have
: bloomed poorly. So the Bulbo's I move to a shadier location.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. If my Bulbos don't bloom this year I'll have
something to try next year.

Dave