Old 01-08-2005, 11:58 PM
tennis maynard

Default Paraphalaenopsis experiment

I am getting tired of most of the inflorescences on my
Paraphal.laycockii rotting from water in them, and it's almost
impossible to water them without that happening due to extreme plant
crowding and lack of time.

As I have low humidity levels, mounting isn't a pssibility as these are
very water loving plants, similar to phals but taking vanda light.

So, I have decided to pot it upside down. I took a shallow 6" plastic
pot and cut a hole in the center of the bottom just a tad larger than
the plant . I put screening in the pot to keep the fine mix (phal mix,
equal thirds fine bark, sponge rock and coir) from pouring out when
watered, since the drainage holes are rather large and I'm not putting
any peanuts or large particles in the bottom. Then I pulled the plant
through, filled the pot 75% up with mix, enough to cover the roots,
thumped it a couple of times to settle it, and attached a hanger through
holes burned with a soldering iron. Then I hung it up outside (for the
summer) and watered.

I am posting the pic on abpo if you want a visual.

We'll see.

Anybody else tried this?