Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Steveo

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
If the tips of the grass looks like the bow of a boat, its poa annua
(annual bluegrass)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu....edu/teaching/
NRES300/weed%2520photo3/poa%2520annua%2520mature.gif&imgrefurl=http://www
.turf.uiuc.edu/teaching/NRES300/fall%2520weeds.htm&h=330&w=500&sz=85&tbni
d=Cpo8T6Q7GzoJ:&tbnh=83&tbnw=127&hl=en&start=3&pre v=/images%3Fq%3Dpoa%2Ba
nnua%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLC,G GLC:1969-53,
GGLC:en%26sa%3DN Steveo wrote:

Poa DOES NOT grow twice as fast or have an extremely wide blade. In fact
poa is for the most part dead right now! It will be germinating again soon.
Read the OP before making a guess diagnosis, or explain how his poa is
growing twice as fast as his desirable turf at this time of year? (top
posting blows)

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
Sound like annual bluegrass. There is no selective herbicide
available that can deal with that stuff. It usually dries out when it
gets hot..

Even after reading this from his description?
---------------------------------------
They grow twice as
fast as the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in
comparison,
JKevorkian wrote:

---------------------------------------

It sounds like nutsedge.

Some time ago, I read an article in this group titled something like:
"What grass is this?", where the poster asked about a strange grass
that was coming up in his newly planted lawn. For the life of me,
I've Googled for that, or any article similar to no avail.
This past spring I dug up my entire backyard, tilled it, and spread
new topsoil and grass seed from our local nursery. The seed was a
mixture of blue, rye and fescue and started to sprout within 8 days
of sowing. At first, it showed great promise, within a month was
looking quite lush and dark green, with an occasional light green
blade popping up here and there. Now, 2-½ months later, those light
green blades are spreading everywhere. They grow twice as fast as
the dark green stuff, the blades are extremely wide in comparison,
and really detract from the appearance. I just mowed on Saturday
evening, and already those buggers are ½ to ¾ inch taller than the
surrounding grass.
So, what grass is this, and how can I get rid of it?

Tom & Donna Flyer

--
http://NewsReader.Com/