Old 02-08-2005, 03:36 PM
david taylor

Default poplar suckering

Poplars are notorious for throwing up suckers and their vigorous surface route system is a problem close to buildings
We had a largish tree-70ft within 20yards of the house, which was throwing up suckers within 10ft of the house and at other parts of the garden.
We cut it down in February this year and as you might expect suckering is stronger than ever.
We can deal with these, they are obvious on the lawn but in a hedge or amongst trees they can get to quite a large size before they are noticed.
Is there any way of terminating their activity or is it going to be a year on year attrition?
The original stump is still in the ground.
Regards
David T