Old 03-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Hal

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:57:22 -0700, "Dana Schultz"
wrote:

I am in Ontario Zone 5b. My butterfly bush in the back is barely starting to
open and the one in the south has a few weeks to go. So my butterfly group
consists of (I would like to think) a Monarch that we hatched. My son and I
go in June to fields and roadsides in the country and scour milkweed to
search for caterpillars. We bring them home and feed them in the butterfly
jar and some we let loose in the garden to do their thing. What a sight!
I have cabbage whites, sulphurs, blues. The swallowtails generally stay out
of the city. One is starting a chrysalis this morning. We have had sphinx
moths too. The range is larger and too much to list.

I will certainly have to go look for the spicebush but the pipevine is not
in my area.
I have never had anything eat my cannas.

I guess that is a reward for living in such a cold place.

Yes, now would be a good time to move the butterfly bush if it is
small. Mine (Planted last Fall.) is 8 feet tall and has roots
extending out at least 4 feet from the center. It would take a
backhoe or major pruning to move mine.

You are fortunate to have so many varieties. I would Google them
and get plants they like. I'm in Zone 8 and doubt we have a lot of
butterflies in common, but I wish you well.

Regards,

Hal