Old 04-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Cereus-validus.......

Do you think mamamonkey, tatatoofey lives there?

No, but the banana republics in neighboring countries are now run by them!!

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
I am totally jealous of a friend who bought, I believe, two hundred
acres in Costa Rica and there is a vanilla orchard grove on it. I
think he said ten acres!

Monkeys in the trees, waterfalls, ah.........

Do you think mamamonkey, tatatoofey lives there?

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:31:34 GMT, "Cereus-validus......."
wrote:

It is doubtful that Chaz has any idea what is needed to be done for one to
produce their own vanilla from the plants.

Your overview of the process is most enlightening.

You forgot to mention that one would need to grow the plants in the
tropics
to make all the work involved to be economically feasible. Its not
something
you can do on your windowsill.

"Dewitt" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:28:39 -0400, "chaz" wrote:

Where can I buy vanilla orchid cuttings in bulk?

chaz

You might want to ask on rec.gardens.orchids Do note that there are
several species of vanilla. Planifolia is probably what you want if
you are wanting to grow vanilla beans. Do look into what is required
to do that if you haven't. The flowers have to be hand pollinated and
the beans (the seed pods) have to be aged and fermented before they
can be used. Also, the vanilla has to grow to a length of about 15 -
20 ft before it flowers.

deg