Old 04-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Alan Walker

What a great deal for a fat pine! How tall is it?
Marty is right that grafting pines is difficult to do
successfully. However, to say it can only be done by experts is a
bit of hyperbole. Even experts were novices at one time. Learn
what you can about grafting pines and give it a try. Be prepared
for a high rate of failure, but the only way to become an expert
is through study and practice.

Alan Walker

From: "Ethan Smith"

I ran across this website a while ago.
http://www.andyrutledge.com/worlds2/black_begin2.html
He appears to be implying that some of these monster black pines
are grown then chopped back and new limbs totally grafted on. Is
this typical in a Japanese bonsai nursey?

Are these thread grafted limbs cut from the plant and moved to a
new location or are those shoots grown with bud grafts?

I guess I'm curious because I found a Pinus Densiflora at a local
hip furniture store with a 4 inch cliper trunk in a 10 gallon
container. it has been trained into a upswept topiary style, but
might be usable. The best part is the clearance price at 60
dollars. My question is in the next few years would be feasable
to graft new shoots on the lower part of the trunk, I will
certainly practice grafting on some other stuff before I attempt
to do anything to this one.
--
Ethan Smith, Columbus, Ohio
USDA Zone 6, Sunset 35 & 41