Old 05-08-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Trimming an out of control Japanese Maple

Just moved into a house and we have a large Japanese Maple that I need
to cut back. It has been growing for 15 years at its present location
and is very large, having never been trimmed. Unfortunately, it is
right against the house and covers and is growing into the front porch.

I need to cut this tree back but would like to try to save the tree.

Any advice on the best procedure and how much I can cut this tree back
without causing major damage. If I can't get it cut back, it will have
to be removed but I really would like to save this tree.

It is in the middle of summer here (near Baltimore) which probably
isn't the best time to do this but I need to start trimming this tree
back.

Thanks!!
Scott