Old 05-08-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Trimming an out of control Japanese Maple

Just moved into a house and we have a large Japanese Maple that I need
to cut back. It has been growing for 15 years at its present location
and is very large, having never been trimmed. Unfortunately, it is
right against the house and covers and is growing into the front porch.

I need to cut this tree back but would like to try to save the tree.

Any advice on the best procedure and how much I can cut this tree back
without causing major damage. If I can't get it cut back, it will have
to be removed but I really would like to save this tree.

It is in the middle of summer here (near Baltimore) which probably
isn't the best time to do this but I need to start trimming this tree
back.

Thanks!!
Scott

Old 05-08-2005, 04:42 PM
William Wagner

In article .com,
wrote:

Just moved into a house and we have a large Japanese Maple that I need
to cut back. It has been growing for 15 years at its present location
and is very large, having never been trimmed. Unfortunately, it is
right against the house and covers and is growing into the front porch.

I need to cut this tree back but would like to try to save the tree.

Any advice on the best procedure and how much I can cut this tree back
without causing major damage. If I can't get it cut back, it will have
to be removed but I really would like to save this tree.

It is in the middle of summer here (near Baltimore) which probably
isn't the best time to do this but I need to start trimming this tree
back.

Thanks!!
Scott

Go slow and remove anything that touches your house. Tip trimming
more in time as once gone it is gone. I've got one 35 years old and
thatıs what I do.

Then again if you are young and intend to live there consider selling
the tree (Folks do that) and start a new one of the variety you love a
little further away from your home. Variety's effect size and color and
leaf type and form and probably more.

Have Fun!

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
This article is posted under fair use rules in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, and is strictly for the educational and informative purposes.

[IMG] code is On

Question about trimming Rhododendron and Japanese Yew ?? James Nipper Gardening 3 28-06-2011 11:31 PM
Moderated is a control measure for control freaks RTB Ponds 5 28-11-2006 09:37 PM
Tips on planting out - wisteria and Japanese maple Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 1 20-09-2006 05:10 PM
Japanese Maple trimming djay Gardening 9 30-08-2005 06:22 AM
Trimming Japanese Maple Crimson Queen lace leaf help? Gary Gardening 6 19-05-2004 04:02 AM