Old 05-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Sacha

On 5/8/05 14:58, in article , "STEPHEN"
wrote:

hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to put
one into the ground

What did the old Clematis die of? There's a disease called Clematis wilt
which makes them just keel over and die suddenly. If it was that, don't
plant another Clematis in the same place because the same thing will happen.
And a plant you buy in a container can be planted at any time of year. If
you plant one now, be sure to keep it watered in dry weather and if it's
going to be in the 'rain shadow' of a house or wall, plant it about 2' out
from the wall and leaning towards it, supported by a stake until it latches
onto the trellis.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk