Old 05-08-2005, 02:58 PM
STEPHEN

Default clematis

hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to put
one into the ground

TIA

Stephen

--

"From the man who can't make proper gravy"

Old 05-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Sacha

On 5/8/05 14:58, in article , "STEPHEN"
wrote:

hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to put
one into the ground

What did the old Clematis die of? There's a disease called Clematis wilt
which makes them just keel over and die suddenly. If it was that, don't
plant another Clematis in the same place because the same thing will happen.
And a plant you buy in a container can be planted at any time of year. If
you plant one now, be sure to keep it watered in dry weather and if it's
going to be in the 'rain shadow' of a house or wall, plant it about 2' out
from the wall and leaning towards it, supported by a stake until it latches
onto the trellis.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN
hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to put
one into the ground

TIA

Stephen

--

"From the man who can't make proper gravy"

Hi
Dig a hole at least twice the size of the pot in which the plant is growing and half as deep again.
A good wide deep hole of at least 45 x 45cm is essential to accommodate not only the entire root ball comfortable, Incorporate some organic matter.

Clematis will grow best on alkaline soil. Get the soil in good condition by adding well-rotted farmyard manure or compost.

Clematis is divided into 3 groups
Group 1, group 2 and group 3. If you know the name of the clematis, you will be able to find out which group it belongs to. this is important for pruning purposes.
]
Old 05-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN
hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to put
one into the ground

TIA

Stephen

--

"From the man who can't make proper gravy"
Hi Forgot to say that clematis can be planted ll year round because they are container grown but it makes sense to plant when the soil is not frozen or very wet.
Ideal times are early to mid autumn and late winter to mid spring.

Alison
Old 05-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Tumbleweed

.uk...
wrote:

hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I
have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to
put
one into the ground

What did the old Clematis die of? There's a disease called Clematis wilt
which makes them just keel over and die suddenly. If it was that, don't
plant another Clematis in the same place because the same thing will
happen.

seconded, I have never yet a clematis successfully establish where another
one was previously but had died.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 05-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Spider

Tumbleweed wrote in message

.uk...
wrote:

hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I
have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new

one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to
put
one into the ground

What did the old Clematis die of? There's a disease called Clematis

wilt
which makes them just keel over and die suddenly. If it was that, don't
plant another Clematis in the same place because the same thing will
happen.

seconded, I have never yet a clematis successfully establish where another
one was previously but had died.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

I concur also, but wish to add that Clematis prefer alkaline (or limey)
soil. They also prefer their roots in shade and their 'heads' in sun.

Spider

Old 05-08-2005, 07:16 PM
BoyPete

STEPHEN wrote:
hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so
I have dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant
the new one and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right
time of year to put one into the ground

TIA

Stephen

quote1. When planting a clematis, it's important to bury the crown of the
plant at least two inches (6 cm) below the surface of the ground to
encourage more stems to grow from the base quote
From a site listed here..........
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/climbers/clematis.htm
Worth a look.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
STEPHEN

The plant didn't flower or grow. I removed a bit of the bark @ the bottom of
the stem and there was not live in it. there wasn't any green or
fresh/new-like growth, it looked dead and now it is dead . So I will dig an
hole and plant it 6 inches below the base of the plant,

What soil do I need to have to help it on its way. I was told to use
contents of a grow more bag, I find that a bit odd myself

Stephen

--

"From the man who can't make proper gravy"
.uk...