Old 05-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Spider

Tumbleweed wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 5/8/05 14:58, in article , "STEPHEN"
wrote:

hi all, I had a clematis and it died this year. I am replacing it, so I
have
dug the old one out and I don't know how deep I have to plant the new

one
and what soil ( if needs be) to use. is this the right time of year to
put
one into the ground

What did the old Clematis die of? There's a disease called Clematis

wilt
which makes them just keel over and die suddenly. If it was that, don't
plant another Clematis in the same place because the same thing will
happen.

seconded, I have never yet a clematis successfully establish where another
one was previously but had died.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

I concur also, but wish to add that Clematis prefer alkaline (or limey)
soil. They also prefer their roots in shade and their 'heads' in sun.

Spider