Old 05-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Xi Wang

Well, you did say that it was a big plant, so in all likelihood, it will
produce keiki (side shoots). Actually, this might be somewhat good news
since you may end up with 3-4 plantlets over the next few years. As
well, you can expect your vanda to continue flowering. The side shoots
themselves will take a few years to flower, but the mother plant can
still send spikes from the side like it normally does.

Cheers,
Xi

Niek Hanckmann wrote:
Thank you both for your advice, but it came too late... I already went
back to the store to buy it because searching on the Internet I came
across this topic on the UK Orchid forum:
http://www.ukorchidforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=880.

There they stated that it is indeed not a healthy sign when a monopodial
is flowering from the lead, but that a strong plant will survive. It is
possible that it will grow further, but more likely it will make side
shoots. So in the that case I will have to wait two or three years until
it flowers again.

(and in the worst case I end up with a nice vase which appeared to be
included in the price of €16,50!)

Pictures on abpo!

Grtz. Niek

Xi Wang schreef:

Well if a spike is coming out from the crown, then that means the
plant is dead pretty much, unless it grows some keiki. But given the
size of the plant, that may be very possible. All vandaceous plants
are monopodial right?

And yes, as mentioned, the top leaves should be as large, at least, as
the lower leaves. Smaller leaves usually suggest root problems at the
time of growth....

Cheers,
Xi

Kenni Judd wrote:

I wouldn't rush. When plants (or anything else) are priced
ridiculously low, there's usually a reason.

In this case, it sounds like the plants may have been in decline for
some time -- except for the very top one or two that may be in active
growth, the leaves should be at least as long as the ones immediately
below. Also, it should not be flowering from the very top; usually,
it's near the 5th mature leaf down. It sounds like the plant has
been pushed to flower so often that it's outrun itself.

Good growing,