Old 06-08-2005, 06:00 PM
jim hunter

Hi I am a believer in sharpening the blades. Just this week, I had the
blades on my 1988 MTD rider
(wow, what a coincidence) sharpened for the first time since I received
it.(yes, I AM cheap) and WOW, what a difference.

I mowed the grass in half the time as before. It does bog in high grass but
not nearly as bad as before

So I have had it for 4-5 years and yes, I SHOULD have sharpened them way
before.

As another reference point, the bogging down will cause the mower belt to
slip more and wear out quicker

"Douglas F." wrote in message
news:1123260963.17dc67decce94f085485bda00806f99d@t eranews...
I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass.
This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on
it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can
something else be tried?