Old 05-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Douglas F.

Default mtd engine

I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass.
This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on
it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can
something else be tried?

Old 05-08-2005, 06:15 PM
willshak

On 8/5/2005 12:57 PM US(ET), Douglas F. took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass.
This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on
it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can
something else be tried?

Yeah, make sure the blades are sharp. Even then, slow down in thick
grass. I have an 18 HP mower that will bog down in long thick grass if I
mow too fast.

--
Bill
Old 05-08-2005, 06:20 PM

"Douglas F." wrote in message
news:1123260963.17dc67decce94f085485bda00806f99d@t eranews...
I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass.
This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on
it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can
something else be tried?

I'd go through and ensure the blade is sharp, the underside of the mower
deck is clean, the ducting and bags are clean. I replaced my standard blade
with a "high lift" blade on my John Deere and it made quite a differance.

Barren

Old 06-08-2005, 06:00 PM
jim hunter

Hi I am a believer in sharpening the blades. Just this week, I had the
blades on my 1988 MTD rider
(wow, what a coincidence) sharpened for the first time since I received
it.(yes, I AM cheap) and WOW, what a difference.

I mowed the grass in half the time as before. It does bog in high grass but
not nearly as bad as before

So I have had it for 4-5 years and yes, I SHOULD have sharpened them way
before.

As another reference point, the bogging down will cause the mower belt to
slip more and wear out quicker

Old 15-08-2005, 03:50 PM
NapalmHeart

"Douglas F." wrote in message
news:1123260963.17dc67decce94f085485bda00806f99d@t eranews...
I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass.
This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine on
it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or can
something else be tried?

Slow down and take a less than full width cut.

Old 18-08-2005, 03:57 AM
NotMe

"NapalmHeart" wrote in message

| "Douglas F." wrote in message
| news:1123260963.17dc67decce94f085485bda00806f99d@t eranews...
| I have 1988 mtd riding lawn mower that bogs down when into thick grass.
| This time of year it is about 75% thick grass. It has a BS 12HP engine
on
| it and I have tuned the carb properly. Is it a rebuild probably? Or
can
| something else be tried?
|

| Slow down and take a less than full width cut.

If the grass is damp and you're using a mulcher the wet grass can clump.