Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
sean mckinney sean mckinney is offline
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ jan JJsPond.us
I am in the process of finishing up with my new pond bottom drain. I have
used approximately 30' of 3" ABS pipe from the center of my pond to a
gravity fed vortex tank. I am using a TETRA bottom drain which I have
enclosed in concrete (2' x 2' x 2').

At a recent water garden show someone told me that I should not have used
ABS/PVC pipe because bacteria will form inside the pipes causing them to
clog up. Is this true?

A lot of people would be in deep deep dodo if that were true, it aint, you may get grow but if even achievable the circumastances would have to be extreme. If it is a concern clean the pipes every so often. Wash a piece of string through and use that string to pull a rope through, in the middle of the rope tie a cloth ball that is a light sliding fit in the pipe and with the rope pull this ball back and forth through the pipe.

I wouldnt use flexible below ground if by flexible you mean hose.

Stone dust sholud be fine, just compact well under the pipe before you cover the pipe, I used 1/2 to 3/4 inch gravel or just soil.