Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Richard Holub

Default Bottom Drain

I am in the process of finishing up with my new pond bottom drain. I have
used approximately 30' of 3" ABS pipe from the center of my pond to a
gravity fed vortex tank. I am using a TETRA bottom drain which I have
enclosed in concrete (2' x 2' x 2').

At a recent water garden show someone told me that I should not have used
ABS/PVC pipe because bacteria will form inside the pipes causing them to
clog up. Is this true?

Also that person stated that flexible pipe should be used instead of the
solid pipe. I used ABS as opposed to PVC beacause a plumber friend of mine
stated that ABS will withstand the cold weather here in NE. Any comments.

One final question: I am using stone dust underneath and around the pipes
leading from the bottom drain to mthe vortex. Anyone ever experience using
stone dust to fill the bottom of your pond? That is what they use to do
inground pools here in NE.

Another thought: what are the chances of the bottom drain
breacking/splitting at the junction between the concrete and stonedust?

Rich Holub in Massachusetts

Old 07-08-2005, 07:57 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I am in the process of finishing up with my new pond bottom drain. I have
used approximately 30' of 3" ABS pipe from the center of my pond to a
gravity fed vortex tank. I am using a TETRA bottom drain which I have
enclosed in concrete (2' x 2' x 2').

At a recent water garden show someone told me that I should not have used
ABS/PVC pipe because bacteria will form inside the pipes causing them to
clog up. Is this true?

Mine hasn't clogged up in 9 years. Bacteria may very well form, but it
would be aerobic and a thin film, plus the speed the water flows thru is
faster than what goes thru the ABS from our toilets.... Well toilets due
clog, but not because of bacteria....

Also that person stated that flexible pipe should be used instead of the
solid pipe. I used ABS as opposed to PVC beacause a plumber friend of mine
stated that ABS will withstand the cold weather here in NE. Any comments.

PVC is used for a pipe under pressure. I have all 3 types of pipe, flex in
the pond to ABS to filter and PVC to flex from the pump. Only problem we've
had is a pin hole leak in the flex pipe. Have no clue how it got there, son
used goop and problem solved.

One final question: I am using stone dust underneath and around the pipes
leading from the bottom drain to mthe vortex. Anyone ever experience using
stone dust to fill the bottom of your pond? That is what they use to do
inground pools here in NE.

In the pond or under the liner? I assume this stone dust is a type of clay?

Another thought: what are the chances of the bottom drain
breacking/splitting at the junction between the concrete and stonedust?
Rich Holub in Massachusetts

Last thought confused me. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ jan JJsPond.us
I am in the process of finishing up with my new pond bottom drain. I have
used approximately 30' of 3" ABS pipe from the center of my pond to a
gravity fed vortex tank. I am using a TETRA bottom drain which I have
enclosed in concrete (2' x 2' x 2').

At a recent water garden show someone told me that I should not have used
ABS/PVC pipe because bacteria will form inside the pipes causing them to
clog up. Is this true?

A lot of people would be in deep deep dodo if that were true, it aint, you may get grow but if even achievable the circumastances would have to be extreme. If it is a concern clean the pipes every so often. Wash a piece of string through and use that string to pull a rope through, in the middle of the rope tie a cloth ball that is a light sliding fit in the pipe and with the rope pull this ball back and forth through the pipe.

I wouldnt use flexible below ground if by flexible you mean hose.

Stone dust sholud be fine, just compact well under the pipe before you cover the pipe, I used 1/2 to 3/4 inch gravel or just soil.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Courageous

At a recent water garden show someone told me that I should not have used
ABS/PVC pipe because bacteria will form inside the pipes causing them to
clog up. Is this true?

No basis in fact w-h-a-t-s-o-e-v-e-r.

C//

Old 07-08-2005, 08:56 PM
RichToyBox

Richard,

As far as stuff groing in the pipes, I have pvc piping between bottom drains
and vortex filters and just yesterday noticed the draw down in the vortex
was getting pretty large, indicating reduced flow. I took a piece of rope,
tied a cotton mop head on the rope and pulled it through the piping. It is
now working fine.

As for the stone dust, it is just a fine material, relatively easy to
smooth, like the sand that most people have had recommended, but when
compacted, is more stable. I would think it would be better than sand.

If the bottom drain breaks, you are in deep doodoo. The load as pressure on
the bottom of the pond is only about 1/2 psi per foot of pond depth, so it
is almost nothing. Having the bottom drain anchored firmly so that it
cannot settle and pull away from the liner is important, but there should be
no stresses in the pipe to bottom drain unit.
--
RichToyBox

Old 08-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Richard Holub

Hi Jan,

Here is my correction

One final question: I am using stone dust underneath and around the pipes
leading from the bottom drain to mthe vortex. Anyone ever experience
using
stone dust to fill the bottom of your pond? That is what they use to do
inground pools here in NE.

In the pond or under the liner? I assume this stone dust is a type of
clay?

Stone dust is what remains when they crush stone. The particles are larger
than sand but the powder mixed in, when wet, compacts and turns into a very
hard mass. Not like cement but like hard clay. If struck or shoveled it
will break down to it's original consistency. If used you still need a
underliner. tHIS POWDER IS PLACED IN THE POND, WETTED, COMPACTED AND
COVERED OVER WITH A UNDERLINER PRIOR TO LAYING YOUR RUBBER LINER.

Another thought: what are the chances of the bottom drain
breacking/splitting at the junction between the concrete and stonedust?

Last thought confused me. ~ jan
Prior to filling in my stonedust I powered concrete around my bottom
drain. Then the pipe comes out of the 2x2x2 concrete block and is pitched
down to my vortex tank. This pipe is encased in "stone dust" or sand if
that is what one uses, prior to be covered by underlayment and the rubber
liner.....make sense?

Rich Holub