View Single Post
  #11   Report Post  
Old 07-08-2005, 10:38 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo123
I'd seen the TV Ad also & thought it seemed a little too good to be true. However after fighting with the spool on my trimmer three times yesterday & having it "break" (need a part or two) I decided I'd give one a try. Coincidently, I found it for sale at Home Depot. [BTW: it's made by Kwik Products, Inc. - not KwikLoader]. Pretty simple install & it works great. It was cheaper at Home Depot than on TV, but only came with 6 "blades" instead of 24. Also didn't have the "free" replacement blade offer. The "fine print" in the TV ad says there's a ~$9.95 S/H charge for them, so not too free (and I don't remember if it said how many were included). Their site offers 100 refill blades for $24.95. I didn't notice if Home Depot sells refills for this unit, but I'll check next time I'm in.

I think the solution mentioned of getting heavy replacement line & cutting your own replacements seems like the least expensive way to go 'cause $25 for just 60" of line cut to 6'' pieces is a bit much!

Hope this helps.

After writing the above post reply, I got to thinking about what might work in this head. I tried some of my old line (2.4mm vs 3.4mm for the "blades") and found that it was held in place fine. I think the heavier line will last longer, but this will enable me to use up the line I already have. An unexpected bene!