Old 02-12-2002, 12:14 PM
A.Malhotra

Default hiding ugly gas tanks: regulations

We have one of those large tanks for LPG which fuels our hot water and
central heating, in the garden. I'm sure other people must have them too
and be equally keen to hide them as much as possible. But in doing so, have
you fallen foul of the fuel supply company who appear not to like plants
anywhere near them?

In our garden, we've attempted to screen it off from view by erecting
trellis on two sides (one is over 1 m away from the nearest part of the
tank and the other is c. 70 cm away)) and a earth wall topped with a hedge
on the third side (the nearest part of the wall is only 40 cm away but the
hedge is c. 70 cm away). The garden wall forms the fourth side of a
rectangle (about 1.5-2 m away although there are some shrubs in front of it
leaving c. 80 cm gap) in which the gas tank sits. The access point is a gap
on the side facing away rom the gate (not logical I know but thats the way
it is). On the other side of the trellis on the side facing the gate we've
put a flower bed, which I've spent quite a lot of time on this year. The
deliveries are made whenever the company decides we need one, and we have
no notification that one is due to be made. On the last occassion, the
delivery man chose to walk across my flowerbed regardless of whatever
plants where in the way and squeeze around a small gap between a shrub and
the trellis, rather than walk around to the intended access point. We then
got a letter from the company complaining about the "overgrown vegetation
or weeds" around our tank and pointing out that we are required to keep the
area free from flammable materials which could pose a risk to the tank.
They are threatening to stop deliveries until we rectify the situation.

Well, I had a look. There is one dead Phlox in the shrubbery against the
wall, which can be easilt removed permamnently (I don't like it much).
There is no other dead material and certainly no weeds. I can tie in some
of the traling climbers a bit more, and make sure the wall/hedge is kept
trimmed. As far as I am aware, living plants are not particularly
flammable. I am going to write to the company (its impossible to get to
speak to anyone on the phone) to try and clarify what they expect us to do
but since I want to avoid having to take down/dismantle any of the things
we have spent a lot of effort putting together, and I don't want to have to
leave a highway through the middle of my bed, I'm trying to get an idea of
what might seem reasonable based on other people's experience. My husband
is sure that they said trellis was okay before he put it up (they had
previously complained about a woven hazel fence that was in position
before).

Thanks
Anita