Old 09-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Bob Walsh

For the phrags you could try pearcii or klotzschereanom. Both are small.
Orchids Limited had both in April.

Phrags in nature frequently grow along streams and can be submerged during
the wet season. I don't know how either of these would do in a terrarium but
the foliage is more in the six to ten inch range.

Bob

"Rob" wrote in message
Steve wrote:

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this subject lately. Growing
orchids in a terrarium is something I might have wanted to try 25 years
ago but I have no interest in trying it now. I was just thinking
though... I wonder how some of the very small Phrags would do in a
terrarium? Too much water at the roots wouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't
want the leaves dripping wet so air circulation would be needed, as with
other orchids. The limiting factor might be light. Can you get that much
light into a terrarium without growing algae all over everything?

Steve

Very small phrags? You have seen these beasts? That is the unicorn of the
phrag world... Schlimii or fischeri would probably be the smallest. But,
even a 'small' phrag is going to be bigger than most terrariums will
support, especially in spike. I'm thinking of your standard 5 or 10
gallon aquarium, horizontal. I guess you could get a vertical tank, or a
very big aquarium.

Of course people grow orchids in enclosed cases all the time. Wardian
cases, or 'Orchidariums', for example. So the same technology would work
for a more naturalistic 'planted terrarium', I suppose. I wouldn't worry
about water at the roots, you could have varying heights of planting
spaces in the enclosure, with the things that want to dry out up higher,
or mounted on wood. Might have to clean the glass occasionally, but algae
and all sorts of things grow on orchids in cloud forest habitats and they
seem to do fine.

Over on the slipper orchid forum (www.slipperorchidforum.com), there are
some threads on frogs and terrariums. At least one of the members does
both hobbies, and has some nice orchids in his dart frog enclosures. I'd
check that out, if you are interested.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1