Old 09-08-2005, 11:42 AM
yuri

Default orchids in a aquarium

Hello Orchid-fans,

Does anyone have experience with growing orchids in a aquarium?
I guess you need some tools to maintain the temperature and a flow of
fresh air or something?

Greetings Yuri

Old 09-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Niek Hanckmann

I have allways been taught that orchids don't like an abundance of
water... ;-)

Grtz. Niek

Old 09-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Rob

yuri schreef:

Hello Orchid-fans,

Does anyone have experience with growing orchids in a aquarium?
I guess you need some tools to maintain the temperature and a flow of
fresh air or something?

Greetings Yuri

Perhaps terrarium or vivarium is what Yuri meant. Some orchids can be
grown well in such conditions. Pleurothallids are a good choice. Air
circulation is a good idea.

A lot of people who keep dart frogs or other amphibians have elaborate
vivariums with various orchids in them. Personally, I'd recommend a
rotating selection of orchids in that kind of condition. Keep them in
pots (don't plant them in the moss), and shuffle them out every three or
so months. I'd wager very few people do that, though.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 09-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Steve

yuri schreef:

Hello Orchid-fans,

Does anyone have experience with growing orchids in a aquarium?
I guess you need some tools to maintain the temperature and a flow of
fresh air or something?

Greetings Yuri

Perhaps terrarium or vivarium is what Yuri meant. Some orchids can be
grown well in such conditions. Pleurothallids are a good choice. Air
circulation is a good idea.

A lot of people who keep dart frogs or other amphibians have elaborate
vivariums with various orchids in them. Personally, I'd recommend a
rotating selection of orchids in that kind of condition. Keep them in
pots (don't plant them in the moss), and shuffle them out every three or
so months. I'd wager very few people do that, though.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this subject lately. Growing
orchids in a terrarium is something I might have wanted to try 25 years
ago but I have no interest in trying it now. I was just thinking
though... I wonder how some of the very small Phrags would do in a
terrarium? Too much water at the roots wouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't
want the leaves dripping wet so air circulation would be needed, as with
other orchids. The limiting factor might be light. Can you get that much
light into a terrarium without growing algae all over everything?

Steve
Old 09-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Rob

Steve wrote:

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this subject lately. Growing
orchids in a terrarium is something I might have wanted to try 25 years
ago but I have no interest in trying it now. I was just thinking
though... I wonder how some of the very small Phrags would do in a
terrarium? Too much water at the roots wouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't
want the leaves dripping wet so air circulation would be needed, as with
other orchids. The limiting factor might be light. Can you get that much
light into a terrarium without growing algae all over everything?

Steve

Very small phrags? You have seen these beasts? That is the unicorn of
the phrag world... Schlimii or fischeri would probably be the smallest.
But, even a 'small' phrag is going to be bigger than most terrariums
will support, especially in spike. I'm thinking of your standard 5 or
10 gallon aquarium, horizontal. I guess you could get a vertical tank,
or a very big aquarium.

Of course people grow orchids in enclosed cases all the time. Wardian
cases, or 'Orchidariums', for example. So the same technology would
work for a more naturalistic 'planted terrarium', I suppose. I wouldn't
worry about water at the roots, you could have varying heights of
planting spaces in the enclosure, with the things that want to dry out
up higher, or mounted on wood. Might have to clean the glass
occasionally, but algae and all sorts of things grow on orchids in cloud
forest habitats and they seem to do fine.

Over on the slipper orchid forum (www.slipperorchidforum.com), there are
some threads on frogs and terrariums. At least one of the members does
both hobbies, and has some nice orchids in his dart frog enclosures.
I'd check that out, if you are interested.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Bob Walsh

For the phrags you could try pearcii or klotzschereanom. Both are small.
Orchids Limited had both in April.

Phrags in nature frequently grow along streams and can be submerged during
the wet season. I don't know how either of these would do in a terrarium but
the foliage is more in the six to ten inch range.

Bob

Old 09-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Steve

Rob wrote:
Steve wrote:

................................................ ............I was just
thinking though... I wonder how some of the very small Phrags would do
in a terrarium?........................................ ...............

Very small phrags? You have seen these beasts? That is the unicorn of
the phrag world... Schlimii or fischeri would probably be the smallest.
But, even a 'small' phrag is going to be bigger than most terrariums
will support, especially in spike......................................

Hi Rob. Unicorns, huh? :-)
Well, actually, Bob said what I was thinking in the post right after
yours. Take a look at this:

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...ag%20 pearcei

Oh my, that was longer than I thought. I hope it is viewable for everyone.
Anyway, that is my pearcei in a 4 inch pot. I just ran outside (where
most of the orchids are enjoying their summer camp) and measured with a
ruler to make sure I wouldn't exaggerate the smallness. The highest leaf
is 6 inches above the medium and the two spikes (now flowerless) are 9
and 11 inches tall. I consider that to be a very small Phrag.
By the way, there are two different Phrag pearcei. The little one that I
own and another that is at least 3 times as big. At least. The little
one seems to need to form a small clump before it will start blooming. I
have seen the big one blooming from a single fan of leaves.
I'm not sure if I'm a splitter or a lumper but I think, even though the
flowers appear to be identical, I would split pearcei into two species.
Fortunately, that's not my job.

Steve

Old 10-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:17:05 -0400, Steve
wrote:

[...]

Liked your pearcei. How about Paphs? Paph fairrieanum is often
ignored. But is a lovely small thing and Paphs are generally
lower light plants. We grow both Paphs and Phrags in Semi/Hydro
so I am sure the drainage problems could be licked. It is the
air movement I would worry about.
SuE
Old 10-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Rob

wrote:

[...]

Most terraria I've seen aren't much more than 18" high. When your
pearcei and fairrieanums bloom, you will push the top off, even if you
are planting them on the very bottom. Figure 3-4" for substrate, plant
6" tall, and the spike 8-12" tall (at least that is how my pearcei
bloom...). I appreciate pearcei and some of the other phrags are
smaller than, say, longifolium... But even a small phrag is a lot of
space in a small box. If nothing else, it would be out of scale with
the rest of the vegetation.

I'm a slipper nut, I'd really like to do it... But I'd pick Paph.
barbigerum as my terrarium slipper. Cute, and diminutive.
Charlesworthii might be another good choice. Or, find an old phonebooth
and put a few rothschildianum and kolopakingii in it. *grin*

If anybody wants to play with terraria, I have about, oh... 300 million
Masdevallia floribunda that I don't particularly want to hold on to.
Cheap... OK, maybe not that many, but it is a weed. Now that would be
a nice plant for a dart frog enclosure.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:46:05 -0400, Rob
wrote:

I'm a slipper nut, I'd really like to do it... But I'd pick Paph.
barbigerum as my terrarium slipper. Cute, and diminutive.
Charlesworthii might be another good choice. Or, find an old phonebooth
and put a few rothschildianum and kolopakingii in it. *grin*

If anybody wants to play with terraria, I have about, oh... 300 million
Masdevallia floribunda that I don't particularly want to hold on to.
Cheap... OK, maybe not that many, but it is a weed. Now that would be
a nice plant for a dart frog enclosure.

Rob

I can see it now. A nice red framed phone booth with shiny
windows full of leaves, but with headroom for that 4 foot spike.

SuE

Old 10-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Dave Thompson

wrote:

[...]

I'm putting together a terrarium with orchids. Are you serious about selling
a few of these? They would be perfect for the foreground of my project.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Rob

If anybody wants to play with terraria, I have about, oh... 300 million
Masdevallia floribunda that I don't particularly want to hold on to.
Cheap... OK, maybe not that many, but it is a weed. Now that would be a
nice plant for a dart frog enclosure.

I'm putting together a terrarium with orchids. Are you serious about selling
a few of these? They would be perfect for the foreground of my project.

Yep. Go to the website. See below. Or e-mail me directly. I have way
too many...

Rob

Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Dave Thompson

"Rob" wrote in message

If anybody wants to play with terraria, I have about, oh... 300 million
Masdevallia floribunda that I don't particularly want to hold on to.
Cheap... OK, maybe not that many, but it is a weed. Now that would be a
nice plant for a dart frog enclosure.

I'm putting together a terrarium with orchids. Are you serious about
selling a few of these? They would be perfect for the foreground of my
project.

Yep. Go to the website. See below. Or e-mail me directly. I have way
too many...

I saw your page and found the M. floribunda. I have two questions.

I am currently budgeting for flora for my terrarium. Will you cut a deal for
multiple M. floribundas (since you say you have too many already) and are
there any others you carry that will take hot humid conditions? (80+
degrees). This is a first time for a project this size for me and I expect I
will slaughter a few plants while I work the details out while it
acclimates, so I don't want torisk anything too expensive or hard to grow.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Rob

Dave Thompson wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

[...]

Contact me directly... This isn't the place to do business. And yes...

--
Rob's Rules:
http://littlefrogfarm.com