Old 09-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Rob

Thats a lot of help. Actually, im a liitle new to orchids (if my ignorance
hasnt shown thru already) and would like to start a collection, but dont
have a clue what to start with.

You have to start somewhere. I'd suggest finding a local orchid grower
(hobby or commercial), and making a visit. That way you know what you
are getting in for. If you let us know where you are, I'm sure somebody
will pitch in a few suggestions for places or people to visit.

Buying plants on the internet is a great way to increase your collection
(see the rules, below), but it can be difficult to know what you are
going to get. That is why I strongly recommend a few in person
experiences first. Then, find a good online vendor who seems to have a
reasonable selection of the plants that intrigue you the most, and start
your adventure. I'd probably stay away from Ebay for a while, it might
be best to get a little growing experience and a set of reasonable
expectations before entering the big circus.

And join your local orchid society. Or at least attend a few meetings.
That is where the free plants are. *grin*

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1