Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 PM
chaz

Default Can someone ID this for me?

I saw these on ebay and want to know what they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orchid-flask-Rhy...QQcmdZViewItem

chaz

Old 09-08-2005, 09:12 PM

chaz wrote:
I saw these on ebay and want to know what they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orchid-flask-Rhy...QQcmdZViewItem

Umm, I'll take a wild stab and guess that its a flask of Rhynchostylis
gigantea seedlings.

Was there something specific you wanted to know beyond their identity?

Old 09-08-2005, 09:17 PM
chaz

wrote in message
oups.com...
chaz wrote:
I saw these on ebay and want to know what they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orchid-flask-Rhy...QQcmdZViewItem

Umm, I'll take a wild stab and guess that its a flask of Rhynchostylis
gigantea seedlings.

Was there something specific you wanted to know beyond their identity?

I guess a little about the variety and why they are in a bottle

Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 PM

chaz wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
chaz wrote:
I saw these on ebay and want to know what they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orchid-flask-Rhy...QQcmdZViewItem

Umm, I'll take a wild stab and guess that its a flask of Rhynchostylis
gigantea seedlings.

Was there something specific you wanted to know beyond their identity?

I guess a little about the variety and why they are in a bottle

Rhynchostylis gigantea is a southeast Asian orchid species. It usually
has white flowers with pink spots, but these seedlings are presumably
the offspring of a plant with solid pink flowers. It likes bright
light, warm conditions, and high humidity, and it's usually grown in
baskets, so that the roots can dry rapidly after watering.

regarding the bottle:
Orchid seed in nature germinates and grows with the aid of fungi.
Since this situation is difficult to replicate in cultivation, the
orchid seed is instead sown on sterile nutrient agar in flasks. The
seedlings grow in flask until their leaves and roots are large enough
to be potted up. As an added bonus, since the flasks are sterile, they
can be more easily shipped internationally.

If you don't have prior experience growing orchids, I'd suggest bidding
on an established seedling rather than a flask (or better yet, find a
local nursery that sells blooming-size plants).

Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 PM
chaz

wrote in message
oups.com...
chaz wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
chaz wrote:
[...]

Thats a lot of help. Actually, im a liitle new to orchids (if my ignorance
hasnt shown thru already) and would like to start a collection, but dont
have a clue what to start with.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Rob

Thats a lot of help. Actually, im a liitle new to orchids (if my ignorance
hasnt shown thru already) and would like to start a collection, but dont
have a clue what to start with.

You have to start somewhere. I'd suggest finding a local orchid grower
(hobby or commercial), and making a visit. That way you know what you
are getting in for. If you let us know where you are, I'm sure somebody
will pitch in a few suggestions for places or people to visit.

Buying plants on the internet is a great way to increase your collection
(see the rules, below), but it can be difficult to know what you are
going to get. That is why I strongly recommend a few in person
experiences first. Then, find a good online vendor who seems to have a
reasonable selection of the plants that intrigue you the most, and start
your adventure. I'd probably stay away from Ebay for a while, it might
be best to get a little growing experience and a set of reasonable
expectations before entering the big circus.

And join your local orchid society. Or at least attend a few meetings.
That is where the free plants are. *grin*

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Ray

Chaz,

If you want to grow orchids and are willing to use your mind rather than
your heart as guidance (a rare occurrence), point your browser to my website
and click on the "Free information" link. From there, start immediately on
the "Beginner's Advice" and go on from there.

"chaz" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
chaz wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 PM

chaz wrote:

Thats a lot of help. Actually, im a liitle new to orchids (if my ignorance
hasnt shown thru already) and would like to start a collection, but dont
have a clue what to start with.

well, you've come to the right place. If you say where you are
located, there's a pretty good chance someone here will know an orchid
nursery in your general vicinity. It's probably best to buy your first
plants locally and actually talk to a nursery owner who can make
suggestions based on your growing conditions. If there's a local
orchid society, that would also be a great place to get advice (and
often cheap plants!).

My favorite introductory book is "Orchids Simplified" by Henry Jaworski
($15.00 on amazon.com)

Nick

Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Kenni Judd

Chaz: Respectfully -- a flask is not the usual starting point for new
orchid growers, and for good reason. Mature plants, or at least
"near-flowering-size," are in general quite hardy and can survive a
considerable amount of "abuse" as you get a feel for how they grow, compared
to the terrestrial plants you are probably more accustomed to. Younger
orchids are more tender, and bottles are the youngest of the young.

I think you would be much better off to start with a more mature orchid
instead of a bottle. But if you are determined to try the flask, see if you
can search the archives of this group -- there have been numerous
discussions about various de-flasking methods.

As for books, I second the recommendation on Ortho's All About Growing
Orchids as your very first. Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 10-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Dewitt

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:57:31 -0400, Rob
wrote:

I'd probably stay away from Ebay for a while, it might
be best to get a little growing experience and a set of reasonable
expectations before entering the big circus.

And I'd suggest staying away from flask for quite a while. You'll
need some experience growing orchids before you take on trying to grow
plants directly from a flask. And, do you really need 40 plants of
the same species?

deg
Old 10-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:15:10 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

Chaz: __ Clipped__
I think you would be much better off to start with a more mature orchid
instead of a bottle. But if you are determined to try the flask, see if you
can search the archives of this group -- there have been numerous
discussions about various de-flasking methods.

As for books, I second the recommendation on Ortho's All About Growing
Orchids as your very first. Good growing,

Chaz:
Please do tell us where we can help you find knowledgeable
people local to you. The best sources of inexpensive plants are
Orchid Societies and established hobby growers who will show
someone their collection and how to repot. Often there will be
divisions or back bulbs to be had for the day's assistance. I
started this way and obtained 50 plants for a weekend's work.

If you buy a blooming plant locally every 2 months, next year you
will have a chance to see most of these plants produce new blooms
and have flowers for a good portion of the year. You will also
know what the flowers will look like.

If you don't want to tell us where you are - check out the
American Orchid Society's website for a list of local societies
and meetings. There is also a list of shows around the country.
They can also be a good place to meet people who love to tell
about the plants they grow locally.
http://www.orchidweb.org/aos/index.aspx

Have fun and come back to join us often... We love to spread this
disease .... I mean hobby.
SuE
Old 10-08-2005, 02:12 AM
willy

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:15:10 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

Chaz: __ Clipped__
[...]

Hi,
I am in SC, near Aiken,SC and Augusta, GA, any resources would be
appreciated.
chaz

Old 10-08-2005, 03:53 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:12:37 GMT, "willy"
wrote:

Hi,
I am in SC, near Aiken,SC and Augusta, GA, any resources would be
appreciated.
chaz

You should have suggestions soon. We have several regulars in
the SE. Danny photographs at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
They have a spectacular collection of Orchids. There are several
others in SC I believe.

Here is the affiliated society search. - I recommend joining AOS
for the information brought to your home via magazine each month.

http://www.orchidweb.org/aos/affiliate/findus.aspx

Aiken-Augusta Orchid Society
1st Sunday every other month, 3:00 p.m.
Barbara L. Botts