Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Kenni Judd

Chaz: Respectfully -- a flask is not the usual starting point for new
orchid growers, and for good reason. Mature plants, or at least
"near-flowering-size," are in general quite hardy and can survive a
considerable amount of "abuse" as you get a feel for how they grow, compared
to the terrestrial plants you are probably more accustomed to. Younger
orchids are more tender, and bottles are the youngest of the young.

I think you would be much better off to start with a more mature orchid
instead of a bottle. But if you are determined to try the flask, see if you
can search the archives of this group -- there have been numerous
discussions about various de-flasking methods.

As for books, I second the recommendation on Ortho's All About Growing
Orchids as your very first. Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"chaz" wrote in message
I saw these on ebay and want to know what they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orchid-flask-Rhy...QQcmdZViewItem

chaz