Old 10-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Jim Lewis

John Dhom wrote:
Thought someone might have his latest, published, recipe (or reference/link
to same). All I have is one many years old. I have sent him the request.

I'm interested in Persiano's recipe to try his superfeeding approach since
most of my material is in training.

I'm interested in organic cakes for use with a stressed juniper I got
recently (see my plea for help titled "new juniper - stressed - need help
with plan of attack"). Do you see benefit in this application? Do you think
regular fertilizer would be just as effective?

Best,
John

First -- Fertilizer is NOT medicine for trees. If I recall,
you had some yellowing branches, and ants (among other
problems??).

You were advised to look for borers (?), and to remove the
brown foliage.

I'd suggest looking hard for spider mites, too -- and
aphids, or scale, both of which encourage ants.

If the ants are in the soil of your pot, submerge the pot in
water overnight. A lot of the ants will climb into the
foliage, of course, but a pyrethrin spray (or Ortho Home and
Garden) will take care of those. Tilt the pot when you
bring it out of the water to encourage drainage. Overnight
in water won't hurt the tree. If the soil the tree is
planted in looks crusty and ancient, you could carefully
wash off the upper layers and add new soil. Don't remove
enough to constitute a "repotting." Water the new soil in well.

Now is the time to give it a standard-brand 20-20-20 (or
thereabouts; the exact numbers aren't important) fertilizer.
Follow label directions. Set the tree in part shade
(morning sun).

Keep an eye on it for the rest of the summer, then protect
it from hard freezes over the winter. By spring you should
be able to repot.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++