Old 03-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Victoria Clare

Default What is this tree/shrub?

"Peter" wrote in
:

I have a tree/shrub - now about 10ft tall, thickest of sveral stems
now about 1.5 inches diameter. It has insignificant tiny greeny white
flowers in summer but in autumn they turn into pink blobs that open
into 4 segements with an orangy bit in the middle. It has lovely red
autumn leaves. A friend wants one but I can't tell her what to get as
I lost the label.

? Euonymus europaeus, the common spindle tree?

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...tsheets/trees-
new/euonymus_europaeus.html has a pic and more info.

I think there are several varieties, some with better red autumn leaves
than others, but that should be enough to get you started.

I always think of it as the Christmas decoration tree because those berries
are such mad colours: very 'designerish'!

Victoria Clare