Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Mark Herbert

In article .com,
wrote:

This is the variety I'm talking about.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365/

I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a
buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well
to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a
retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on
growing this vine?

I have grown these. I live in an arid climate and they don't tolerate
prolonged full sun well here. If it's humid where you live, your plant
will probably do just fine.

I always grow Cardinal Climbers (Ipomoea x multifida), a close relative
of Cyprus Vine. The foliage is similar but the leaf lobes are less fine
and not as deeply cut. The flowers are a little larger, last a bit
longer, and are more abundant. They are usually bright red, but
occasionally white-flowered specimens occur.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/662/

Both are very attractive to hummingbirds. I grow my Cardinal Climbers
interspersed with Scarlet Runner Beans on bird netting tacked to my wood
fence. They are both easily grown from seed. I start mine a month
before last frost and pinch the growing shoots a few times before taking
them outside. They form really dense mats at the top of the fence,
covered with flowers that the hummers adore.

Grow them where you want them to recur; they reseed readily and can be
pesky if you don't.