Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Anyone Ever Grow Cyprus Vine?

This is the variety I'm talking about.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365/

I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a
buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well
to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a
retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on
growing this vine?

Patrick

Old 11-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Marsha

I have this and it seems your doing just fine. Mine here in Fl comes back
every year and it does spread
oups.com...

Old 11-08-2005, 06:05 PM

Marsha wrote:
I have this and it seems your doing just fine. Mine here in Fl comes back
every year and it does spread
wrote in message
oups.com...
This is the variety I'm talking about.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365/

I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a
buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well
to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a
retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on
growing this vine?

North FL? Does it come back from seed or the root?

Patrick

Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Marsha

wrote in message
ps.com...
Marsha wrote:
I have this and it seems your doing just fine. Mine here in Fl comes back
every year and it does spread
wrote in message
oups.com...
This is the variety I'm talking about.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365/

I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a
buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well
to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a
retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on
growing this vine?

North FL? Does it come back from seed or the root?

Patrick

North Central, It's the seeds that fall back into the soil

Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Mark Herbert

In article .com,
wrote:

This is the variety I'm talking about.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365/

I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a
buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well
to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a
retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on
growing this vine?

I have grown these. I live in an arid climate and they don't tolerate
prolonged full sun well here. If it's humid where you live, your plant
will probably do just fine.

I always grow Cardinal Climbers (Ipomoea x multifida), a close relative
of Cyprus Vine. The foliage is similar but the leaf lobes are less fine
and not as deeply cut. The flowers are a little larger, last a bit
longer, and are more abundant. They are usually bright red, but
occasionally white-flowered specimens occur.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/662/

Both are very attractive to hummingbirds. I grow my Cardinal Climbers
interspersed with Scarlet Runner Beans on bird netting tacked to my wood
fence. They are both easily grown from seed. I start mine a month
before last frost and pinch the growing shoots a few times before taking
them outside. They form really dense mats at the top of the fence,
covered with flowers that the hummers adore.

Grow them where you want them to recur; they reseed readily and can be
pesky if you don't.

Old 16-08-2005, 03:24 AM
SVTKate

psst...
hey you

I have several that came up volunteer this year. My neighbors call them
"Hummingbird vines"
I am told that they are quite prolific and I have gotten seeds from pods on
one of the vines already.
They sure are pretty!

Want some seeds?

Kate

wrote in message
ps.com...
: Marsha wrote:
: I have this and it seems your doing just fine. Mine here in Fl comes
back
: every year and it does spread
: wrote in message
: oups.com...
: This is the variety I'm talking about.
:

Old 17-08-2005, 12:38 AM
SVTKate

You betcha kiddo.. any time!

"Lynn" wrote in message
: They sure are pretty, how about saving me a few for new year.
:
: Lynn
:
: "SVTKate" wrote in message
: nk.net...
: psst...
: hey you
:

Old 20-08-2005, 06:36 AM
madgardener

wrote in message
oups.com...
This is the variety I'm talking about.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/11365/

I just planted a small and beat-up example (picked it up on sale for a
buck). It already a few flowers blooming and seems to have taken well
to the site I selected -- full sun, sandy top soil, and at the top of a
retaining wall. Anyone have any tips or advice they'd like to share on
growing this vine?

Patrick

well Patrick, I've seen prime example of what Cypress vine or "Love Vine" as
my Aunt Francis used to call it (because it strangles the hell outa it's
surrounding plants---- As much as I admire it, grow it where you can
keep an eye on it's spread. I've seen what one season of not watching where
the vines scramble can do. Each flower produces a case that holds four to
five seeds that all sprout,making more vine next year which multiplied four
to five times each vine adds up. And it's stinky to pull up. Hummer's like
it, but there are less invasive vines to offer them that this, unless you
grow it on a support with nothing else for it to grab onto.

I actually considered myself lucky with all the thousands of seeds at Mary
Emma's that got loose from her's that I didn't wind up with it to battle
along with my Vinca major and other things, and damned if I didn't spot a
weak tendril in a pot of mum's the other day. Where it came from I can't
tell you, but I'm pulling it out tomorrow. The trumpet vine next to the pot
of mums won't allow another invasive vine to move in.................you'd
never find me for the foliage!
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking a very hazy
and sticky English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
where I won't deliberately grow Cypress Vine no matter how