Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 8/11/2005 2:57:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

If you grow pines for bonsai the book is a worthwhile investment.

Kits

John Dhom wrote:
thx info. I'll just use an alternative as I can't afford to buy a book just
for this receipe

Best,
John

John:

Please do not buy the book for a cake recipe: the recipe follows. However,
if you are seeking a solid reference work on how to develop Japanese white
and black pine, I would welcome the purchase. );-) Kitsune, I appreciate the
kind remark.

If you have any questions about the cakes, please contact me. Be certain to
use a FAST DRAINING SOIL. You will have remarkable root mass development,
so you will need to more frequently repot your trees. The cakes should be
applied to immature bonsai, bonsai that have yet to achieve their design
objectives. After developing sufficient growth to support your design, I would
suggest migrating to a liquid fertilizers.

Those of you who are using these cakes with pines should consider potting
you trees in Akadama. The results will be outstanding.

Superfeeding cake recipe:

* 3 parts cottonseed meal (acidic)
* 2 parts garden lime (alkaline)
* 1 part blood meal (nitrogen and iron)
* 1 part bone meal (phosphorus) *
* Mixing solution of full-strength Schultz 20-30-20 and water
* Fish emulsion-5 ounces for every 5 pounds of dry ingredients
* A splash of Sevin (for insecticidal purposes)
Procedure for making Superfeeding cakes:
1. Mix the first four ingredients
2. Add all of the liquids to the dry ingredients except the Sevin until
the consistency of cooked oatmeal is reached.
3. Wearing a pair of gloves, add the Sevin to the mixture.
4. Spread the fertilizer over an aluminum foil-covered wire rack or
flat tray, cut the fertilizer into 1.5-inch squares with the moistened length of
a paint stirrer, and set the scored rack in the sun to dry.
5. Once the cakes have completely dried, snap the squares away and
place them in a container for future use. The cakes will keep for many years if
they are kept dry.
Part = a dry cup measure

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --