Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 AM
David Ross

" wrote:

In my front yard is a very large northern red oak (I believe, could be
wrong), about 50 years old. It's showing some signs of stress, lately.
I have ruled out most fungal infections, because it definitely isn't
dying. However, it has never received any personalized attention; it's
been left to do its own thing for a long time, now. I was hoping
someone could share any experience they have for a fertilization
regimen ... general feeding, fertilization to help it resist disease,
what to use to help it prepare for the winter ... etc.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Oaks tend NOT to be heavy feeders. If your oak is stressed, the
best thing would be to call a professional arborist. Check the
arborist's credentials (e.g., license, certification). Considering
what a 50-year-old oak is worth, the cost of professional help is
easily justified.

NO, I'm not an arborist or involved with any association of
arborists.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/