Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Oak tree fertilization

In my front yard is a very large northern red oak (I believe, could be
wrong), about 50 years old. It's showing some signs of stress, lately.
I have ruled out most fungal infections, because it definitely isn't
dying. However, it has never received any personalized attention; it's
been left to do its own thing for a long time, now. I was hoping
someone could share any experience they have for a fertilization
regimen ... general feeding, fertilization to help it resist disease,
what to use to help it prepare for the winter ... etc.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 AM
David Ross

" wrote:

In my front yard is a very large northern red oak (I believe, could be
wrong), about 50 years old. It's showing some signs of stress, lately.
I have ruled out most fungal infections, because it definitely isn't
dying. However, it has never received any personalized attention; it's
been left to do its own thing for a long time, now. I was hoping
someone could share any experience they have for a fertilization
regimen ... general feeding, fertilization to help it resist disease,
what to use to help it prepare for the winter ... etc.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Oaks tend NOT to be heavy feeders. If your oak is stressed, the
best thing would be to call a professional arborist. Check the
arborist's credentials (e.g., license, certification). Considering
what a 50-year-old oak is worth, the cost of professional help is
easily justified.

NO, I'm not an arborist or involved with any association of
arborists.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Rolling Thunder

On 11 Aug 2005 08:56:41 -0700, "
wrote:

In my front yard is a very large northern red oak (I believe, could be
wrong), about 50 years old. It's showing some signs of stress, lately.
I have ruled out most fungal infections, because it definitely isn't
dying. However, it has never received any personalized attention; it's
been left to do its own thing for a long time, now. I was hoping
someone could share any experience they have for a fertilization
regimen ... general feeding, fertilization to help it resist disease,
what to use to help it prepare for the winter ... etc.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I suspect the problem is due to weather. We had a lot of
rain early and since then drought. I don't think I'd fertilize
until early spring, if needed. I'd bet the water table is
lower than usual and that's the problem.

Thunder
Old 14-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Treedweller

On 11 Aug 2005 08:56:41 -0700, "
wrote:

In my front yard is a very large northern red oak (I believe, could be
wrong), about 50 years old. It's showing some signs of stress, lately.
I have ruled out most fungal infections, because it definitely isn't
dying. However, it has never received any personalized attention; it's
been left to do its own thing for a long time, now. I was hoping
someone could share any experience they have for a fertilization
regimen ... general feeding, fertilization to help it resist disease,
what to use to help it prepare for the winter ... etc.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Spread 1/2" to 1" manure compost over your entire lawn/beds twice a
year. This will feed the soil, which will feed the tree in turn.
Your grass and other plants will benefit as well. Chemical
fertilizers are unneccessary.

Also, make sure the tree is not planted too deeply--there should be
visible flares at the base of the trunk where the primary roots begin.
If you can't see them, dig out the excess soil until you can. Cut any
roots that cross over and constrict the flares. Once you have visible
flares, mulch around the trunk with 3" of wood chips, pine bark, or
similar and keep it mulched (i.e., keep the grass back as far as
possible from the tree). Don't heap the mulch against the tree (this
may be difficult if you just dug out a moat around a deep tree, but
you need to find a way to do it). For more info on mulching, visit
www.treesaregood.com.

But you don't say what the signs of stress are, so I reserve judgment
on whether there is anything else needed to help your tree.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236