Old 12-08-2005, 04:32 PM
dalecochoy

Mike,
I had a few comments/ideas.

I always wondered about using the full strength Shutz in the slow release
fertilizer cake recipe?? Seems, redundent and cross purpose?

I USED TO ad liquid kelp/seaweed ( the most expensive ingrediant) but now ad
KELP MEAL, costs a little less but gives more bulk which liquid doesn't.
5lb. meal means 5 lb. more cakes.
Also, I always liked adding that Alaske brand Upstart stuff w/B1 to the mix,
it's made from Molasses.

Also, as I mention in my recipe I published, I don't use the sevin. I never
really had a maggot problem ( they wouldn't hurt/bother me anyway) but My
DOGS just love the cakes! Ummm Good! So I'd be afraid to have it in them if
pets and reachable bonsai.

I pat mine out in old hospital cafeteria trays about 1/2" deep and use
saran wrap on the tray. Just spritz a fine mist on tray and lay wrap on it
and it sticks and won't move. I pull it off with first "Flip". And I use a
pizza cutter to quickly/easily cut them.

Another note, they dry too slow if done when rainy period and/or too humid
and can mold pretty quick ( which doesn't hurt them one bit but people
seemed bothered by the loks) so I make them when I have about 4 days knowing
it will be warm/hot, low humidity with no rain.

I dry mine in my unused greenhouse during summer. Had some trouble with
racoons getting in the 25 or so trays if I left the doors open. They LOVE
that fish emulsion.!!Found the cure for that, I put a radio out there and
let play all night low so neighbors don't hear. No more racoons.

Hope this helps folks,
Dale